Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to draw a character in?

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Paywest, May 23, 2019.

1. Paywest

Paywest

I just downloaded unity yesterday in the hope of learning how to make simple games.
    I have modded games before, I know a bit of coding, but I never MADE a game from scratch.
    so my questions are how do I draw a character in? and how do I put in the code to move it around?
    you might tell me to watch the tutorials, but I watched a couple of them and I still don't know what I'm doing.
    it's very discouraging to watch for hours and have no idea what I'm doing because I'm being taught the wrong things.

PS: I'm on Unity 5x because I'm on a 32 bit system.
    and that didn't help with understanding the tutorials.

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

I don't think repeating the tutorials for you here in this thread is likely to be very efficient for anyone involved.

Briefly: throw a PNG file into your project, check its import settings to make sure it's set to Sprite, then drag it from the Project tab to the Hierarchy tab. Now it's in the scene, as a sprite. If you hit Play, you should see it in your game (if you don't, check the position of your sprite and the camera to make sure it's in view). To make it move, add a script that changes its transform.position every frame (in the Update event). Check out this article when you are advanced enough to understand it.

But if all the above sounds like Greek to you, then... do the tutorials. (Don't just watch the tutorials; actually do them!)

Vryken likes this.
  3. Ryiah

Ryiah

My recommendation is that you focus on getting yourself a good computer before you try learning game dev. Modern Unity is rapidly becoming a completely different beast than it was back in the Unity 5 days. If you try to learn using this outdated release you'll just end up having to relearn once you can move onto 2019+. Just about everything is changing.

Joe-Censored and Vryken like this.