Search Unity

How to download a large set of big JPG's into storage and then use them later

Discussion in '2D' started by rplionelusa, Sep 3, 2019.

1. rplionelusa

rplionelusa

So... this is some insanely easy stuff to do on native. But doing something like this in the Unity ecosystem can be a bit baffling.

Here's what I want to accomplish....

Load about 10 zips at first run time, one at a time - about 25 MB each. Not into RAM. But into storage. Uncompress each zip in the background. And then access the corresponding images later in the game routines from the file storage location.

Note: all these images will not be in RAM.

The file should be accessed and loaded into RAM only as it's needed to be shown. One image JPG at a time in RAM is totally fast enough and enough memory to use for even older devices...

Anyone have a clue as to this purpose?

I guess I don't need to say the addressable solution just wasn't working for us.

Thanks,

Ron Jr.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2019
  2. Helladah

Helladah

I dont know what do you mean with stack in storage, a pc has trhee coin of memories, the most faster its the buffer, the second one its the ram and the third its the storage, so, with install the game, the unity ecosistem handles to "storage" all the info about the game, by installing them.

Now, if you mean, start them at background to not cause buffer at load, just have to add an script, to set active them whenever you may need, but even with that, i guess that the pc will have to add this info to the ram somehow so the cpu shall be able to use that info

3. rplionelusa

rplionelusa

I could be wrong Sir but it seems the unity ecosystem mostly loads to RAM. Unity assumes you are loading material from the web into the current level.

And I’m looking for specific coding examples. Thanks.

Also my platform of target here is mobile.

4. Helladah

Helladah

Well, we all need some code to work, but, if you dosent tell what do you need, hardly anyone will give you, and even if they does, and get started to write it for you, it probably wont fit to your needs, cause your question dosent have enouhgt details i thing.

Anyway, good luck with that, i asked a few days ago about how to acces the video player, and im still waiting, so, i dont know if here will be someone able to answer this weird pod, or at least, im not able to do it

5. Helladah

Helladah

the only thing i can figure out its to save into prefabs, maybe as childrens, and it will keep itself into the storage i guess, but still will be loaded into ram, specially if u are willing to download them from the internet