Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to do "planted feet" IK

Discussion in 'Animation' started by herix, Nov 17, 2014.

1. herix

herix

I would like to configure IK such that my avatar's feet remain planted on the ground as the rest of the body goes down. In other words, I want the avatar to crouch when the target transform moves down. (Similar to planted feet in Max if you are familiar).

I tried to follow the example in the manual http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/InverseKinematics.html and modified it to use the feet. This works in that it causes the foot to follow a transform when I move it but doesn't provide the behavior I want of locking the feet on the ground. Is Mechanim's limited to this type of IK only?

If you can point me to any useful resources/tutorials regarding IK I'd appreciate it.

Thx

2. medhue

medhue

What program are you using to animate the character? That documentation only has to do with IK in Unity. To animate the character like you want, you need to use a program like Max, Maya, or Blender. There are lots of videos on Youtube for doing this.

3. herix

herix

I'm not really trying to animate the character in the typical sense. From what I understand the IK should work properly as long as the character is properly rigged.