Search Unity

How to do multiple scenes/servers in Unet ?

Discussion in 'UNet' started by Disastorm, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Disastorm

Disastorm

I was just wondering if anyone knows what the standard idea behind how to do this is using Unet?

Is multiple scenes even possible with a single server?
    If not, how would you connect multiple servers hosting different scenes together ?

Would you have players disconnect from one server and connect to another while they are "zoning" between areas or something like that?

I was just wondering how is this typically done in online gaming, and what the Unet solution is theoretically supposed to be?

2. Disastorm

Disastorm

bump, anyone know?

3. p87

p87

I think under UNET this would be the "master simulation server", or phase 3 from what I remember reading from the blog post. The master simulation server apparently manages one or more simulation servers.

however, the "standalone simulation server" is not implemented yet. which is phase 2, and this is on the roadmap for march 2016 I think.

The blog post made it sound like the master simulation server may not make it into the 5x release cycle.

As for your question...

if you go read the documentation for Pomelo, it's a node.js multiplayer networking library, they have some architecture diagrams that may help explain how to code a scalable multiplayer networked game.

https://github.com/NetEase/pomelo/wiki/Pomelo-framework-overview

i think with the unity networking it's most likely going to be one "server" (or unity process) per scene, (I don't think they have announced this yet), but you could potentially have several of those unity servers running on the same PHYSICAL machine, if the machine can handle it... but they haven't released any information regarding the standalone simulation server or master simulation server yet.

if you have different physical machines or virtual machines that need to communicate then its just via ip address. they could all be on the same local network for best performance.

but typically, large multiplayer games have separate physical machines, so there is no single point of failure. if a server for one map fails, then the entire game doesnt come down, just the players who were connected to that particular map.

in a large set up you would have separate machines for practically everything, so dedicated servers for a database cluster, login servers, game servers, master servers, etc.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2015