Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Help Wanted How to do a perfect baking process? What is the baking workflow?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by kyawzayabcastu, May 10, 2020.

1. kyawzayabcastu

kyawzayabcastu

So....I did this big landscape. This is all ray casting so the only process left is to bake.
    1- I want to know what is the proper baking process.
    2-I saw a Backeye's tutorial but he setup light probes manually but My scene has a lot of shadows, Setting up light probes manually is gonna be pain for me. Is there anyway to setup light probes automatically?
    3- When should I setup Refection probes? before or after baking light maps?
    4- Yea..I confused about the baking workflow coz I don't know which piece(process) come first
    Thanks for your answer :). If there is any link to learn for this..just drop it. I value your time.
    upload_2020-5-10_13-58-12.png

2. ron-bohn

ron-bohn

For starters, that is a really big scene to bake! Unless you have many hours and possibly days to spare sitting around waiting, I highly recommend making a small scene with just a few small objects and experiment. This way you can test most of the things you asked. The manual does a pretty good job of explaining baked lighting, realtime lighting, reflection probes and the various set-ups. You might not understand everything on your first read through. I read it through and referenced it dozens of times when starting out. It can be confusing at first, but experimenting will go a long way to understanding the various baked lighting methods in unity.

The reason why I suggest experimenting with a small scene because there are quite a few different combinations for lighting.

unityunity