Search Unity

How to do a game like this

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jgalvezpa, Mar 27, 2014.

1. jgalvezpa

jgalvezpa

2. gamescorpion

gamescorpion

3. jgalvezpa

jgalvezpa

it is not the same

4. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

5. Meltdown

Meltdown

unity3d.com/learn

6. violinbg

violinbg

Do you have some work done and are you stuck with something in particular?

Start with a small prototype. Create dummy graphics and try to code them to move that way. Keep expanding from there.

7. landon912

landon912

You can make this game with one button, it's super easy! Just look right next to the "Make MMO" button!

8. chrisall76

chrisall76

If your new to game development, you'd be better off starting with http://unity3d.com/learn and making something more simple.

9. Windexglow2

Windexglow2

Go into photoshop and look at Bevel and the erase tool. It's almost the same effect, right? Video has a lot more lighting + shading, but it's kind of a starting point. There are a ton of ways to go about it. Hell, you could probably use a single layer of voxels to generate the meshes.

But I know it looks simple, but there's a load of stuff going on in the background of the video which takes time and experience to do. Why isn't there a ton of random 0.1 size parts left over? Because he has something making sure that doesn't happen. He has something in place to make it look like it shatters. Ectect.

10. Zeblote

Zeblote

^ he never said he has photoshop

11. jgalvezpa

jgalvezpa

nobody know exactly how that game was made?

12. Photon-Blasting-Service

Photon-Blasting-Service

Exactly? No.

There is a slingshot game template kit for Playmaker in the asset store. Use that as a starting point.

13. goat

goat

1. Start with the Unity/learn link.

2. Since you are ignoring that advice

3. Start with Breakout and modify the graphics using Unity render to textures to erase portions of 'Breakout' blocks obscured by 'explosive' graphics

4. 3. will be take much longer if you don't start with 1. since you seem to have no art or programming experience

14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

How that game specifically was done, no. But, I have done similar games before (the mechanic of punching stuff out of an image like that). Given that it isn't a high-speed action game, it could easily be replicated in AIR, and I believe there are some tricks that would work well in cocos/gamekit as well.

If were to build it in Unity, for the visual punching, that part is easy, you could either mask it, or modify the alpha channel directly (through a shader). The collision part is a little trickier, I would start with sampling the color. That can be done with something like GetPixelBilinear, but it might be more performant to bake it into the shader. Alternately if sampling colors becomes too slow, you build rough colliders after the punching and use those for gross collision, and only switch to the color samples for more granular collision once you know you are in the area. (though possibly the built colliders may be enough on their own). There may be even a way to leverage the sprite system to generate colliders, but I haven't looked into what can and can't be done at runtime with that.

Nothing overly difficult in theory, but there may be a decent amount of testing/tweaking to get the the best performance/gameplay.

15. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I'm pretty sure this guy is just trying to get hits on the video, or at the least is spamming up the forums. Many threads asking the same question.

16. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

17. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I don't get that impression. Breaker has been out for a long time, and the mechanics are a little trickier to pull off that what you will find in most the tutorials or info around. His question was about this specific mechanic. Most tutorials are all geared to "getting started".