Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to do a basement and hole in the ground?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by tygrys1982, Jul 13, 2022.

1. tygrys1982

tygrys1982

Hi there.

I am new to Unity. I am using version 2020.3.2611.
    I've got a problem - created a house (without a basement). Now house is completed but I need to create and add a basement to created house. I've found similar problem from the past: https://forum.unity.com/threads/cutting-a-hole-in-a-terrain-for-a-basement.357693/ but it was created 7 years ago, so from that time many things could have been changed... so my question is: how to do a basement and a hole in the terrain which fits to this hole? What could you recommend? What is the best, simple and fast way to do it?

Best regards
    tygrys1982

Last edited: Jul 14, 2022
  2. BrandyStarbrite

BrandyStarbrite

I have no idea how you modelled your house, or how it looks polygon wise. But similar to what was said in that old topic, I'd probably put the house back into a 3d modelling program, and build the basement there. You could extrude faces from the floor of the house, and build a basement from there. Or, model the basement seperate from the house, and then try to join both the house and the basement together.

To make a hole in the terrain, put the terrain, in whatever 3d modelling progam you use, remove some faces, and make a hole from there.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2022
  3. DrMeatball

DrMeatball

If I can throw myself in here.. I've wondered the same thing, just haven't gotten to it yet in my project to bring up the question myself. A basement is easy enough to create, I don't think that's the problem, it's the just the context being used in how to punch a hole in the ground.

If you plop your house prefab (with basement) into your Unity terrain the two will intersect... how do you handle that? "remove some faces / make a hole from there".. how?