Search Unity

Question How to display thousands of objects in Unity at the same time. (Animal Crossing)

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by gui_dev, Oct 26, 2020.

1. gui_dev

gui_dev

I would like to know if making a game like Animal Crossing in Unity would be possible.

In Animal Crossing you can have multiple objects (hundreds, even thousands, considering furniture, clothes, toys, etc.) placed on your island. Unless nintendo did a gigantic texture atlas, I guess every object would have its own mesh and texture, so in Unity we will end up with thousands of draw calls...

What are good approaches for this? The goal is to develop a game with the same number of objects in screen and targeting mobile (similar hardware to switch). I know about mesh baking, etc. but this doesn't seem a viable option to do it on runtime for mobile devices.

Any other ideas?

2. Sky77

Sky77

Actually the camera is only framing a small part of the island in AC New Horizon, so there's a very limited number of object on screen at the same time.
    For sure Nintendo is using some clever optimisations, but AC is not a graphically intensive game.