Search Unity

How to display a web browser in game...

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by dvochin2, Jan 12, 2013.

1. dvochin2

dvochin2

Hi all,

Is there a way to display a web browser during gameplay (PC standalone build, not web player) (Note that this is the inverse of running Unity inside a web page via the web player...)

As Unity game runtime gets DirectX 9/11 to render its window I gather setting a web browsing HWND to display on top would not work, but maybe one of these two alternatives would work?
    - Create an in-game object with a dynamically-created Texture2D that gets its pixels from a background web browser window.
    - Hook into directx post render and 'paint' the current image from a background web page rendered in a background window
    - Build WebKit in a DLL and find a way to paint its window on top of DirectX

(While the above would render the web page in game I will of course have to send Unity mouse clicks and keyboard edits to the background web browser for it to update...)

Has such a feat ever been accomplished?

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

2. Cameron_SM

Cameron_SM

3. dvochin2

dvochin2

Hi Cameron, thanks for that heads up... looked in the asset store for 'browser' and getting no results made me think it doesn't exist.

There turns out to be a fantastic implementation of WebKit running brilliantly inside Unity games made by Mythos Labs here. Don't know why such a well done project can't be found on the Asset Store...

uWebKit appears very well done and more than exceeds what I need to do in-game... Check it out! ;)

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  4. nomax5

nomax5

5. CodeHeadPro

CodeHeadPro

Why not just make a form in VS to be your game launcher/patch-updater. Make it to launch the game, and updating it from a web site. A lot of games use a web site to patch their games.

6. Ismawell

Ismawell

Did you find the answer?? I am on the same situtation, i do not understand how this simple thing can be so difficult

CloudyVR and AuraCS like this.
  7. CloudyVR

CloudyVR

I am also interested, are there any solutions that work in the UI so I can add a simple web view to a VR game?

8. TheJam3s

TheJam3s

CloudyVR likes this.