Search Unity

How to dislike unity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DageLV, Sep 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DageLV

DageLV

Go to Answers.Unity.com looking for an answer. You wont get one, if youtube wont help, youre going to quit this thing quite soon.

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Just ask questions on the forums instead. Answers hasn't been a viable site for over a year now.

3. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

Any chance we can get a link to this answers question? It is true that things have lost steam over there, and most users just ask questions on the forums for any help - but I think the way the question gets asked (very clear, concise) and how difficult it is to answer in a quick paragraph or so, makes a huge difference in whether or not it ever gets answered.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. ShilohGames

ShilohGames

Yeah, please post a link in this thread to the specific answer section post. A lot of users post help for free in the forums.

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

I find it quite useful sometimes. I try to give back as much as I can cause it does struggle but I am pretty new so it's limited. It's about everyone giving back as much as it is about asking and receiving answers.

How many questions have you helped out with?

6. Unknown33

Unknown33

This forum, in addition to providing support for Unity products, is a also a great place to get trolled if you are a newbie. :rolleyes:

7. Ryiah

Ryiah

There is a very effective way to avoid being trolled. You just avoid General Discussion. :p

8. Antypodish

Antypodish

Like this one for instance.

But honestly, I been on answers once or twice. I perceive them quite useless to me. Having blog, answers, forum and what else (need?)?

9. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

You're the problem though. You've been on once or twice. How about answering some questions then? It fails cause you don't contribute

10. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

The other side of the fence ain't much greener. There's the same problems all around and it might not be fair, but there's a lot of help here if you're ready to lace you boots up yourself.

And SamohtVII, nobody is under any obligation or employ to help you in any regard whatsoever. It just goes to show why you can't figure something out easily, when you go and attack someone that was only trying to be helpful, they do not work for Unity nor for you. Toughen up Buttercup.

Antypodish is on the right track, there are plenty of working ways to get your answers.

Antypodish likes this.
  11. Murgilod

Murgilod

Why should we contribute to Answers when the forums are right here?

Ryiah, andyz, Antypodish and 2 others like this.
  12. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I think this is pretty much it. The only reasons to go to Answers are if you have a problem and need a solution, or if you're specifically looking to help other people find solutions. I do the former by Google, and when I'm in the mood for the latter there's plenty of people asking questions right here where I already am.

13. SamohtVII

SamohtVII

I just find it ironic you are all bashing a system that can only survive if you contribute. It's like not pedalling on a bicycle and getting pissy when it doesn't move.

14. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

We aren't the ones on the bicycle.

Plenty of people put plenty of time and effort into trying to keep Answers moving along smoothly. There are people still doing exactly that. And the Community Managers tweaked and changed things to try and help make it all work out. If it's failing to move along due to a lack of volunteer effort then that's not the fault of arbitrary individuals for not volunteering.

Basically you're telling others off for not putting their time and effort into something that you want.

This. Please do keep that volunteer thing in mind. People are helping out because they want to help out, not because they're somhow responsible for other peoples' problems.

On the note of wanting to help out...
    ... attitude has a huge impact. You want someone to do something, and your approach is to berate them and call them "the problem". Do you think that's going to make them more or less inclined to do what you want?

15. Antypodish

Antypodish

The problem is, that you not contributing to discussion, with such attitude. I nor others have any no obligation. as mentioned above, to get involved anywhere. It could be same argument, why we don't contribute in stack overflow, or relevant. Don't assume and don't expect people having time, or willingness, to jump between forums, chats and blogs, to keep them artificially alive.

Forum is convenient, has easy way to provide information and media. Is easy to track what is going on and is quick for replays. Additionally new and most recent related stuff are here, which can be discussed upon.

16. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I think the idea behind answers is similar to stack overflow, where discussion and changing of the subject isn't really allowed (although answers is far less strict in comparison), and it's meant for short and sweet problems and solutions to very specific situations...

I've had some great answers to questions I've asked there in the past, and plenty people have posted code there I've swiped many times :p

I'll say again what I always say when UA comes up in a negative light -and that's "long live UA".

17. Murgilod

Murgilod

I had some pretty good milk from this carton in the past, but that was 6 months ago and I'm not gonna drink it now.

18. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

The shelf lives of milk and code are very different :p

19. BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

BlankDeedxxAldenHilcrest

I find it ironic that you're having such trouble asking a question and talking about irony, when angrypenguin's signature is literally a guide on how to ask questions online without seeming needy or hostile.

I find it ironic that you asked someone to help you while simultaneously insulting their judgement. You can't have it both ways, people's advice is either with or without merrit to you.

Why don't you start again and ask your question. Maybe someone will be feeling nice, despite your emotions. I don't expect much after your actions, but there's a lot of nice and wonderful people here.

Ryiah and angrypenguin like this.
  20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Do your games.

MD_Reptile likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.