Search Unity

Question How to disable the sync effect of the animation retargeting?

Discussion in 'Animation' started by JosephStar318, Apr 7, 2023.

1. JosephStar318

JosephStar318

I have a project where i use multiple models with retargeted animations using animator. This works great but something is bothering me. When there are multiple models in the scene, they are perfectly synced with each other. As if like when they are walking they are marching like soldiers and i don't want that. How can i desync their movements does anyone know? Or am i missing something?

2. JosephStar318

JosephStar318

Was going through the threads and come across this. Honestly i forgot about it a while ago. But would like to know the solution anyway. Anyone?

3. tsukimi

tsukimi

Maybe randomly change each's play speed subtlly, or add an additive idle animation and play at different start time.

4. JosephStar318

JosephStar318

But that can't be how everyone does it right? I mean how do people use same animations for different models without making them perfectly sync with each other? If i didn't experienced this i would think that different animators have different normalized times so this would not be the case in the first place. But clearly i am missing something about a feature that perhaps I accidentally activated.

5. tsukimi

tsukimi

Every retargeting thing will have the same timing result, not only in Unity, but also Blender, Maya, etc; thats what retargeting does: to create a very similar animation result on a new model. First create similar results, then one can post-process the animation according to one's need.

6. JosephStar318

JosephStar318

Did not know the timings are the same. Thank you for clarification. Alsa i did put it wrong when i said different animators. Animation retargeting uses one shared animator object after all. But i did not understand the workaround. if we want to use same animations on different models what do we need to change animators or animations?

7. tsukimi

tsukimi

That may be another case... usually an animator only controls one character model, so different models could have separate animators, and can have difference with each other. Does the 3d model contain multiple characters? If so, maybe you can choose to use only one of characters for each instance. (something like, prefab A only Activate Character A's skinned mesh renderer, and prefab B only activate Character B's skinned mesh renderer, etc)

8. JosephStar318

JosephStar318

I meant same animator controller asset. Animator component is different alright.