Search Unity

How to disable the new prefabs?

Discussion in 'Prefabs' started by pointcache, Sep 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pointcache

pointcache

Hi i want to use latest unity version due to HDRP but i find the new prefabs to be time consuming and hard to work with, i don't care about nested prefabs whatsoever i didn't want them and probably will never use them as they only add problems for runtime serialization. I just want the normal prefabs back, how?

2. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

You can't turn them off.

What kind of problems do the cause for runtime serialization?

If you don't do any nesting prefabs are the same as before, but with different workflow.

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

They are more time consuming when editing in the project view by quite a bit. I'd love to change that aspect but dragging them all out into project view for tweaking takes longer.

In my case I simply accept it take longer and hope the rest of it will save time for me, if I use it.

4. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

Well yes, but that is not a serialization issue :)

We are still thinking about improving the editing speed aspect of prefabs but I don’t think we will be able to come up with a good solution before 18.3 ships

5. Chaz32621

Chaz32621

I do enjoy the new prefab structure but at times it would be nice to edit a whole group of the same without having to go into the prefab scene. So it would be cool to maybe have a hot key dependent on deactivating it with multiple prefabs of the same selected. Or just auto allow editing to all if multiple are selected.

Huntrt likes this.
  6. optimise

optimise

Can you add Esc key to quit Prefab mode? I think it can speed up the workflow a lot. Currently I need to select that back button is very time consuming if you want to edit lots of prefabs.

upload_2018-11-1_23-54-54.png

7. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

8. jflatmo

jflatmo

SteenLund:

DEFAULT behavior should have been the old behavior.

In the inspector, where the "apply changes" button would be (assuming you're looking in the Project window as opposed to Heirarchy) should be "Prefab Editor". It's even the same number of characters.

Easy to get to when you want it since it's at the top, easy to ignore when you don't.

The prefab editor was one of the things I was most looking forward too, and it's my single biggest hate at the moment.

I've got over 300 similar prefabs in my Resources folder and 99.9% of the time I either need to see what parameters one has (particularly if I'm searching for a specific one) or I need to see what monobehaviors I've set on it. The new workflow is absurdly disruptive.

Prefab Editor has been handy in the rare instances I've needed it, but the disruption isn't worth it.

altair2020 likes this.
  9. altair2020

altair2020

yeah guys, this prefab system is wierd

10. DageLV

DageLV

no. just no. NOTHING is the same. Damn, i cant even enter play mode because of that awful forced prefab mode, im not allowed to edit prefabs anymore etc... Everything is awful about the edit mode. i cant nam a single decent thing what its good for.

11. Jebadibus

Jebadibus

Would be great to toggle it off. Big increase on time working with simple prefabs. Simple Prefabs... The Package..

12. zaallii800

zaallii800

it is a very poor and time taking system.. unity please add choice b/w new and old system.

13. runevision

runevision

Locked thread due to it getting derailed with (now deleted) unconstructive replies that also didn't follow the community rules.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.