Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to disable specular highlight of HDRP lit shader?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by Atlantiss, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Atlantiss

Atlantiss

I am working on creating a realistic looking terrain in unity using HDRP.
    The terrain is an imported mesh to which I have applied layered lit material.

The problem is I can't control the strength of specular highlights that is coming from the sun (directional light).
    The specular highlight seems too high for a terrain that is supposed to be rough,even after adding mask map,the specular intensity does not decrease.
    Here's how it looks now :

When i disable the 'Affect Specular' option of the directional light,I get this result which is how i want it to look:

But doing this disables specular highlight for all objects.
    Can someone help me to control the specular intensity for individual object / material which uses the lit/layered lit shader? I really want to be able to reduce and fine control the specular intensity of my terrain.

UnderShad likes this.
  2. Zer0Frost

Zer0Frost

I dont see "Affect Specular" in my Directional light inspector. how to access it?
    Im working on HDRP .

Im also looking for way to remove specular completly from materials.

3. iamarugin

iamarugin

I am interested in this too. Did you find a workaround?

4. id0

id0

Yeah, this specular thing is awful, and looks ugly in many ways. One solution it's add bent normal (you can use usual normal as well), and check "specular from bent normals" in shader. But I don't remember if terrain shader support bent normals?... Anyway, you can also play with textures map in the terrain layer. Note that you must have alpha on your diffuse map.