Search Unity

Question How to disable depth test in shader graph?

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by zhuchun, Jul 13, 2019.

1. zhuchun

zhuchun

Hi, I'm using HDRP, is that possible to disable depth test and make the outline highlighter effect?

2. darkesco

darkesco

I'm pretty sure that depth test can be disabled, but googling and asking around has not turned up anything. It was suggested that you can convert your shader graph to code and add the ZTEST flag, but I couldn't get that to work. As for outline, you can do this with a texture swap. You could also use a multiplication of a fresnel and hdr color node. If you need neon or something like that you will probably have to use post processing.

Arkade likes this.
  3. zhuchun

zhuchun

Thank you, but regarding disabling depth test, I want an object to show its silhouette behind an obstacle.

4. bgolus

bgolus

Like @darkesco mentioned, Shader Graph currently offers no option for disabling depth test, or modifying any other render state settings directly. Unity has said it's something on their list of things to do, but it's not available yet, and might not even be something they've started working on.

The only option is to not use Shader Graph and use a vertex fragment shader. If you right click on your master node you'll get the option to copy the generated shader code which you can paste into a file and use instead of the Shader Graph, as well as modify to meet your needs.

Arkade and zhuchun like this.
  5. zhuchun

zhuchun

Oh, that's a good work around!

6. gary_beebe

gary_beebe

In URP, you can add an Object Renderer override to your URP_Renderer.asset. Set the Override Layer Mask to a layer that you want to always render over top of everything and set Depth to Always.

jamespaterson and marcospgp like this.
  7. BrutifulGames

BrutifulGames

jamespaterson likes this.