Search Unity

How To Disable Default Terrain Grass Height-Gradient?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by AbatureStudio, Jan 22, 2020.

1. AbatureStudio

AbatureStudio

How do you get rid of the height gradient on terrain grass so that it is all one flat colour? I'm unsure if the wording in the title is most accurate way to phrase it, but it was the best I could think of.
    Better yet, I would love to know where exactly this effect can be edit in the unity shaders, so that I might be able to tweak it myself.

For clarification, here is an example of how the grass currently looks on the left, and a mockup of how I would like it to look on the right:
    upload_2020-1-22_11-32-42.png goal.png

Apologies if the answer has already been provided somewhere, I've googled at length and haven't been able to find it.
    Also, apologies if this is better suited the 'shaders' topic, I was unsure...

2. bgolus

bgolus

The short answer is you can't disable it.

The longer answer is in older versions of Unity you could trivially replace the grass shader with a custom one, but Unity broke that recently and there's not a clean way to do it anymore. Someone posted a kind of hack workaround here, though I've honestly not gotten it to work myself, there's no reason it shouldn't work:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/2019-2-overriding-shaders-of-terrain-grass.725294/

AbatureStudio likes this.
  3. AbatureStudio

AbatureStudio

Thank you for the quick reply! That's a bummer, but at least I can put it to bed until it's fixed.

4. neoshaman

neoshaman

Oh snap that's one reason I hadn't touch terrain in 5 years, I thought it was fixed by now :(