Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Bug How to disable APPLICATION.TICK --- It takes forever.

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KarlKarl2000, Apr 1, 2021.

1. KarlKarl2000

KarlKarl2000

The application.tick pop up can last up to 1 minute for me.. this is a very big time sink when entering and exiting play mode, editing a script, jumping between applications etc.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? It wasn't here a few iterations back .. I would say around 2020.1-ish?

:oops:

2. CSNomadProductions

CSNomadProductions

Similar issue here. 2020.2.1f1

I thought I had tracked it down by disabling auto save for prefabs. THEN I thought I had it tracked down to pre-fab variants causing the slowdown. Now, I'm still getting hang ups pushing 2 minutes entering and exiting playmode with even simple/almost empty scenes.

Personally, I still feel it has to do with SOMETHING around pre-fab variants and/or nested prefabs, as messing with anything like that seems to make the problem exponentially worse for me.

Edit: Okay, did some more testing. Currently have a duplicated (NOT a variant. The duplicated pre-fab was made with good ole' Ctrl+D) asset in my project (2 versions of a gun) If I place the duplicate in the scene in any way/shape/form, unity throws a fit and hangs up for like 2+ minutes entering and exiting play mode. If the duplicated asset is not in the scene but IS in the project files, I'm not seeing any issues at all entering and exiting play mode.

HOWEVER, if I make an actual pre-fab variant of that weapon, simply having the asset in the project files seems to produce the same result.

I hope this is a simple fix and/or just me being dumb, as the Variant feature is so useful and time saving.

If I can't find a fix for it, I guess I'll just have to go through and create each PF variant as it's own thing from the ground up >.<

Last edited: May 7, 2021
    KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  3. Or if you can reproduce it reliably, then you can submit a bug report. I'm pretty sure Unity engineers would like to hear about it so they can fix it.

KarlKarl2000 likes this.
  4. CSNomadProductions

CSNomadProductions

good call. Submitted (well, in the process of) a bug report this morning.

didn’t realize they request your entire project, so the bug report is taking a good hour or so to submit xD Hopefully it’s worth it.

KarlKarl2000 and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  5. Baste

Baste

If the project is too large, you can note that in the bug report, and they'll usually send you a link to somewhere you can send a zip instead.

6. CSNomadProductions

CSNomadProductions

It took like 3 hours, but I let it be and went about my normal morning routine. I'll keep that in mind for next time though. Thanks!

KarlKarl2000 and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  7. sandigeeup

sandigeeup

Hi I just read messages responding to issues on unity Application Tick. I'm a student at Glasgow school of art and undertaking an MSc using various platforms Unity is one of them. I have a project on unity I have to submit for grading on the 8th and I have had error messages since yesterday, e.g application tick, FMOD failed to get drive capabilities " error initialization output device" ( three times) and Default audio device was changed, and my audio now doesnt work. I work on a new Dell computer and everything else is ok The project requires me to collaborate with another student on version 2020.3 20ft. please help me with this or I'm not going to be able to complete my project in time for my MSc. thank you in advance.

8. Baste

Baste

Application.Tick is just a generic thing right at top of the loop - almost everything that happens in the editor is grouped under that.

The problem is that FMOD is struggling with some part of your hardware setup. You should try to check FMOD support and/or forums to see if they know what the problem is.

9. Innovine

Innovine

I had some [ExecuteInEditMode] which caused unity to stop in the Tick when exiting playmode for over a minute.

10. pixeleif

pixeleif

I just experienced this issue in my scene in Unity 2021.3.14
    Turns out it was a probuilder object causing it..

11. Noxoreits

Noxoreits

i know im late but do you know why probuilder caused it? i have the same issue rn