Search Unity

Question How to delete a child's Analytics data (per COPPA rules)?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by nxtboyIII, May 9, 2022.

1. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Hi,
    I have a Unity game which uses Unity Analytics. Sometimes players will give feedback through the game, and once in a while a player will tell me their age, example:

"Hey I like this game and I'm 9 years old."

As per COPPA, because I now have actual knowledge (AFAIK) that the user is a child, I am required to delete their data.

I can delete their user account from my database, but how would I go about deleting this user's Unity Analytics data? Do I need to also track the user's device ID that way I can somehow use that to delete their Analytics data? Or how would this work? I know the data can be deleted by the person themselves, but I don't want to try contacting this user (who is a child).

Thanks

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

We do have an OptOut API that you can call https://docs.unity.com/analytics/ComplyingWithGDPRandCCPA.html but this would be on the device. There is also this https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/UnityAnalyticsCOPPA.html

nxtboyIII likes this.
  3. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

Hi,
    I don't understand this code here. I don't see any kind of "OptOut" function in the Analytics API. I know the user can opt out via a link they open themselves, but I want to have control over deleting the user's data. I can't rely on a child going through the process to delete their own data, nor do I want to have to contact that child directly and ask them to do so.

4. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

It looks like it might be because I'm using the Legacy Analytics. Is the "OptOut" function only in the new Gaming services?

5. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Yes, that is correct. So you have a live chat feature in your game where users can contact you directly? Is your intent to remotely OptOut the user? Or mention to the user they should opt out? I can't speak to the legal aspect of either unfortunately.

6. nxtboyIII

nxtboyIII

My intent is to remotely opt out the user. If the user is a child, I'm worried I might be breaking laws by attempting to contact the child without parental consent. So the best option would be to just delete all the data that was collected from that device and also to ban the user from further attempts to use the software (game).

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

But since they have provided their age, you've already been in touch with them. And why ban? If you are not collecting any information at that point. I don't believe you can legitimately remotely delete information on a users device without their consent. If you have their consent, tell them to opt out from the device. Or just provide an opt-out option for all users at the beginning of the game.