Search Unity

How to decide on a game idea? I have 2 indie game ideas right now and I tell you my own experience..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by dilmerval, Sep 16, 2018.

1. dilmerval

dilmerval

Hi All,

Deciding on a game idea can be very challenging, very very challenging. The main reason is because creating an indie game takes considerably amounts of work, effort, and a complete change in your routine. In this video I explain what I am personally going through while trying to decide on a game idea for my next game.

Thanks
    [COLOR=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0.88)][/COLOR]

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

Whenever I try and figure out which game I want to make I just try and figure out which one is the least prone to feature creep...

angrypenguin likes this.
  3. Deleted User

Deleted User

When I have game ideas (which doesn't happen very often) I imagine myself playing them and I pick up the one that makes me laugh. ;)

konsic likes this.
  4. Billy4184

Billy4184

When I have game ideas, I prototype and get feedback.

TonyLi and angrypenguin like this.
  5. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

This! Testing, research, finding out if other people want to play it.

Also, don't test just one. Test multiple and pick the best, or make new designs based on what you've learned to optimise results and test those. If you just test one thing then what are you comparing the results to?

If you don't care about selling your game then ignore that stuff. But if you do want to sell it then you're going in blind if you don't do your research just as for any other business. Do people want the thing? Who are the people who want the thing? How can you sell it to those people? Are they willing to pay enough to make it worth your while?

Edit: I'm not specifically responding to the contents of the video.

Ryiah and Billy4184 like this.
  6. Billy4184

Billy4184

Sometimes I only get feedback from myself, but it's better than nothing :)