Search Unity

How to debugging a .exe environment properly?

Discussion in 'ML-Agents' started by alvaro_unity903, Oct 14, 2020.

1. alvaro_unity903

alvaro_unity903

Until now I had to code Debug.Log, compile and run from Python win
    mlagents-learn
    command to check variables, functions and so on. This is a very slow process. I was searching about and I found these two options (for Rider):

Both options could help in debugging scripts started from outside of IDE, e.g. by Unity in this case. I found that none of them works properly for me. I found my .exe in "Run / Attach to Unity process", but I can't see logs, I think I can't see watchers...

I'm working with a custom env and doesn't work well by click Run in the editor. Should I change something in my code to do it?

How I should work?

2. vincentpierre

vincentpierre

> I'm working with a custom env and doesn't work well by click Run in the editor.

Can you give us more details on why that does not work? I think most IDE debugging tools work best when used in the Editor.
    Both the Unity Player and Editor will generate log files located here : https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/LogFiles.html when building an executable, you will need to check the "Development Build" checkbox to see logs from a Player.
    I hope this helps.

3. alvaro_unity903

alvaro_unity903

Hi Vincent.

We have a custom env that load scenes from a database. If I click run from the editor it only loads the UI elements, not the rest of the scene. I don't know why. If I run it from the console with mlagents-learn it works.

I thought it was faster to solve the problem with "Attach to process" than the loader in the editor, but I have not success with that.

That time I founded the executable in the "Attach to process" option, but it didn't show any value in the locals or watchers. Now even find the executable in the "Attach to process".