Search Unity

How to deal with terrible banding?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by Holoday, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Holoday

Holoday

Hi!

I'm having issues with pretty intense color banding in the darker regions of my game- see example, just a picture of the background alone. I've seen methods that use special noise textures, shaders, and such to blur the edges between the colours- how would I go about doing that, as I can't find very many resources about that.

Thanks!

upload_2020-12-31_11-57-23.png

2. bgolus

bgolus

If you look at the color values in that texture, you'll see the RGB values are one step apart. The middle circle is all RGB (40,40,40), the next ring is RGB (39,39,39), next is 38s, then 37s, etc. You've reached the limit of 32 bit color representation.

As for what to do about it, that depends on how the above image was created. Unity’s vignette effect that’s part of the Post Processing Stack v2 already does dithering.

As for not “finding resources” on dithering, I’m not sure how you were searching, because there are a ton of resources on this, and even the top results in Google if you search for Unity Dithering gets you links telling you to use the post processing stack asset, and after that are several tutorials on the topic.

Holoday likes this.
  3. Holoday

Holoday

Thanks for the help!