Search Unity

How to cut a character in pieces?

Discussion in 'Formats & External Tools' started by StarGamess, Aug 4, 2015.

1. StarGamess

StarGamess

How do you cut a character in pieces(remove limbs from torse) and still have the animations work and stuff. I bought an asset on the asset store called Bloody Mess and in order to properly use this asset i need to cut my characters into pieces. If anyone can point me in the right directions on how to do this that would be great. A video tutorial would be even better. ;)

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This might help.
    There is a basic character setup in there - among others.

3. StarGamess

StarGamess

Thanks but i dont have any problem setting it up. The problem i have is that you need to cut your character in piece remove the limbs from the body. You have to do that yourself and i dont know how to do that. There isnt any tutorial on it ive looked.. May i just dont know how to search for it since i dont know anything about 3d modeling.

4. StarGamess

StarGamess

if you watch this video you will see that his character is already cut into piece but he doesnt explain how he did it.

5. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

In any 3D modeling package go to edge level select the edge loop where you want the cut to occur, select the edge loop, break apart. Then you will have two holes that need to be filled and textured accordingly.

I seem to remember him explaining this - either in one of his videos or in the forum thread for bloody mess.

6. StarGamess

StarGamess

Will you have to redo the animations aswell?

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I'm not familiar with how the asset is setup. Don't know
    Max as a skin wrap modifier which would work and drastically reduce the re-rig and re-skin.

Best to contract the asset publisher to get proper direction.
    He seems to be active on the forums. Give him a shout out @OneShotGG you have a customer. :)
    Or in email heavydieselsoftworks(at)gmail(dot)com

Also may want to check the threads he has authored. He answers the question you originally asked.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/bl...ent-system-web-demo-live.309275/#post-2079410
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/bl...ent-system-web-demo-live.309275/#post-2079440

8. StarGamess

StarGamess

I have but so far he hasnt responded also someone commented on the forums he hasnt heard from the guy in an month so yea hope he'll reply soon or else this will be a big miss purchase.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  9. stasclick

stasclick

kblood likes this.
  10. wccrawford

wccrawford

Spamming 2 year old threads with your asset isn't very nice.

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

We had a discussion and will allow it on old threads so long as its a one time thing and not spammy on multiple threads or annoying.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  12. wccrawford

wccrawford

Even for accounts that have asset spam as their first and only post?

At least this one was mostly on-topic, I guess.

13. kblood

kblood

This is awesome :) Have been looking for something that could do this for a long time now and this seems perfect.

I expect I will buy it next month.