Search Unity

How To Create Your Own Assets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SoftwareEngineer, Dec 11, 2015.

1. SoftwareEngineer

SoftwareEngineer

I wonder how I can create my own RPG assets such as https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/1573
    It is RPG Starter Kit as you can see. Has it been made in Unity or in another program? I am asking this because if I can make my own tool, I can use it in my next games and I will not have to make everything from scratch. Also I can optimize the tool for my necessities.

itxamar60, ffkgamer13 and Talha113 like this.
  2. tango209

tango209

3. SoftwareEngineer

SoftwareEngineer

So all I need to extend editor? Do you mean all assets which is similar to RPG Starter Kit are made by extending editor?
    I thought that I will need an external program to do that.

4. N1warhead

N1warhead

Being you are asking this question you are not yet ready to produce assets worth purchasing.
    Not trying to be rude. But stuff like this comes with experience.

You don't just decide one day to make a whole RPG Starter Kit without knowing about everything you are trying to do.
    Granted you can learn as you make it, which would then be a good time to use google to learn how to do it.
    There are a lot of tutorials and videos, etc that show how making editor extensions are made.
    And so on.

Not everything is made in Unity all the time. sometimes you'll need to make your own DLL's and so on to do what you're trying to do, or find a open-source DLL.

I haven't looked at the link you posted. But just learn how to make the things and make sure your product(s) are worthy enough to submit to Asset Store - otherwise you'll be waiting 2 weeks just to get a declined message without even why it was declined, unless you're lucky and they tell you why (rare). So it's best to make sure you know exactly what you're doing otherwise it's gonna kill your passion to keep getting declined messages over and over - thus wasted time.

Please don't take what I'm saying in a bad way, just giving some solid advice.

5. neginfinity

neginfinity

https://unity3d.com/asset-store/sell-assets

Everything you see in asset store is a unity package that has been uploaded to asset store. Contents of the package can be made within unity, coded in mono develop, or modeled in external program. Depending on what is in that package.

If you want to reuse stuff in next games you don't have to upload packages to the store. You can export packages for your own use, or just drag assets between the projects.

RPG starter kit is basically bunch of scripts written for unity. Those could be developed in Visual Studio or within monodevelop.

That's not a solid advice. It is better to direct people to documentation instead of posting something like that.

Yes, you can certainly just decide one day to make the whole RPG starter kit and impelment the whole thing from nothing.

One way to learn is to get some fun idea, start implementing it - without knowing HOW to do it at current moment - and pick information as you go.

Waiting to be "ready" to "produce assets WORTHY" of asset store is a royal waste of time. You won't be ever "ready", you won't ever know if your asset is "worthy" until other people will give it a try.

6. SoftwareEngineer

SoftwareEngineer

Thank you for your helpful post. Let me make it clear that I am studying software engineering and I am almost good at C#. I am going to start making an RPG game soon and I thought that if I can make a tool similar to the RPG Starter Kit I can use it in my next projects. But obviously I am not ready for it. I am just trying to learn how it is working, what kind of programs I need etc. Again thank you for your help!

AlpKoral likes this.
  7. SoftwareEngineer

SoftwareEngineer

Thank you for your motivational message neginfinity! As I said above I don't want to sell assets, I just want to make an infrastructure for my next projects so that I can build my next RPG games based on that infrastructer. I hope this make it clear.

8. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

There are two approaches to building assets. Occasionally you will set out to build a frame work with a target like the asset store in mind. But more often these assets arise out of building the same game multiple times and refining the bits you always need to use.

SoftwareEngineer likes this.
  9. Ryiah

Ryiah

You need external programs to do everything but scripting. Editor extensions are basically scripts written to modify how the editor behaves. The RPG Starter Kit is not entirely an editor extension but it does make good use of them.

Unity's Learn section has some tutorials covering the basics of extending the editor, but anything more complex tends to require digging around in the documentation.

http://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/...itor/building-custom-inspector?playlist=17117

SoftwareEngineer likes this.
  10. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Well, most of us write scripts in MonoDevelop or Visual Studio or NotePad++. So technically even scripting is done externally.

Unity itself isn't much good for creating assets of any sort. It simply holds all of your assets together. Often in pretty magical ways.

11. Ryiah

Ryiah

I don't really count MonoDevelop as external given that it's included with Unity.

zombiegorilla and Kiwasi like this.
  12. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I wouldn't count monodevelop as software either.

13. RichardKain

RichardKain

Very true on all the external tools for making assets front. I would encourage the initial poster to look into scripting extensions. Writing extensions for Unity's GUI is one of my favorite things to do in the program. And it is the bedrock for creating custom tools that can be used in Unity. (which is pretty much the asset thing that he was referring to) I LOVE making custom tools in Unity. Custom tools are a lot of fun to work on, and are a lot easier to bundle up and share with other developers. This modular approach to development can be useful to a lot of different people, and really plays to the strengths of Unity's underlying design philosophy.

zombiegorilla and tango209 like this.
  14. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Amen! Right there with you!

I started really getting into it personally a couple of years ago. In the last year or so, it has become about 50% of my time at work. It's now become big part of our projects. Tools not only speed up things for artists, tech artists and other content contributors, it also allows designers and producers/ product folks do a lot things they typically would had to have tech art or engineering do. Really lets people focus on things they do best.

It really can be challenging at times, mostly due to incomplete documentation. Also, in the last year or so, finding resources for Unity on the net has become harder and harder. But it is the fun kind of challenging.

15. neginfinity

neginfinity

In case of infrastructure you can just copy assets between projects, right in the filesystem explorer, and export whatever you want into package form. Works fine.

Actually, when I was doing unity scripting I ended up preferring monodevelop. Sure, it is buggy as hell (it is the only program in existence that managed to bug out on ctrl+Z), but it starts up in less than a second, and visual studio had some (unfixable) issues that weren't present in monodevelop.

16. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I use textmate2. It's fast, configurable, and has deep os integration. Also I use it for everything code-wise, so I don't need other environments.