Search Unity

How to create this style with unity?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by PoKy007, May 15, 2019.

1. PoKy007

PoKy007

It's about the visual art, not the UI. How do you achieve this look?
    I tried to create this ice scenery for example, but it doesn't look the same. Even if I would use the right color for the ice and the snow, it wouldn't look the same.

------------------ Here other examples of the look I wanna create.

2. bgolus

bgolus

Over bright ambient lighting & skybox.

3. PoKy007

PoKy007

Wait. What has the image of the skybox to do with the visuals? You don't see the skybox on those images.

4. halley

halley

If you put a cube in the middle of the desert, and looked at it without seeing the sky, you would still see the effects of it approaching sunset or even stormclouds. The skybox adds to the light level from all directions, and sometimes a strongly colored skybox can add good cheap lighting of different colors at different normals without having to pay for more traditional lights.

5. cmann

cmann

Yeah looking at those pictures it looks like there's a lot of ambient light, really softening all the shadows.

There could also be some kind of fresnel/velvet/satin/back-light effect for most of the materials, to give them a super soft look.
    Look at the back-facing edges of these plants for example
    5Qz05cP.jpg

6. PoKy007

PoKy007

I don't get you. The plants are in a direct shadow. There is something big above the players and the plants, which casts an hard shadow. How can the plants then have different shadows like a soft one? oO

7. Mauri

Mauri

8. PoKy007

PoKy007

9. cmann

cmann

Well I think it's not like a real light which can be shadowed and is based on the model and light orientation, but just a "highlight" based on the normal and viewing direction.

10. bgolus

bgolus

You do. It's what you see in the reflection on the water and ice. It's also what drives the ambient lighting in Unity by default. You can override the skybox with a custom cubemap, and drive the ambient lighting with that same cubemap, or a 3 color gradient, or a solid color, but the default is the skybox.

11. PoKy007

PoKy007

Ya, but ambient lighting isn't everything. You forgot to mention the rim lighting like the others did.

12. bgolus

bgolus

Because they're wrong. That game doesn't use any explicit rim lighting.

Most Nintendo made Mario games do use a lot of rim lighting, but Mario + Rabbids doesn't. That "rim lighting" on the plants is just a product of the ambient reflection probe and PBR lighting model. You'll get something similar with a good skybox / scene reflection probe and the Standard shader.

KarolisO likes this.
  13. PoKy007

PoKy007

How do you know M+R doesn't have a lot rim lights? :D And why doesnt M+R use a lot rim light? oO

Last edited: May 16, 2019
  14. bgolus

bgolus

Because there are no signs of rim lighting anywhere. If the examples @cmann pointed out where actually from rim lighting, the effect would show up around the entire leaf, not just those edges that are aimed up and away. That's a sign that it's using a glossy environment map.

15. PoKy007

PoKy007

So how do I recreate this style then?

16. bgolus

bgolus

You'll want to use something hand painted rather than the default proceedural sky, then crank up the ambient.

17. kdgalla

kdgalla

See the "Environment" section in the lighting window for all of the controls that affect Ambient lighting
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/GlobalIllumination.html

Also, I think it's worth skimming through the whole graphics section to get an idea of what tools are available to work with:

https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/Graphics.html

There are lot's of different tools in Unity that you can use to sculpt the look of your game but they are spread out and, for beginners, it may be difficult to find what you're looking for.