Search Unity

How to create multiplayer Server TCP

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by Dmidecode, May 31, 2021.

1. Dmidecode

Dmidecode

Hello Everybody,

I wanted to create a new multiplayer game and I have just a basic theoric knowledge on how work multiplayer.
    I have search on the forum and some tutorials how to create a TCP server with Unity but I don't find anything I want.
    I see there is a lot a UDP tutorial but I just want to have a basic server which will receive a message and anwser another message.
    Does Unity provide something to do that or do I need to have a .netCore Api beside ?
    I am sorry if this post is a duplicate.

Have a good day

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Unity supports the regular C# Socket class. Any C# TCP server using the Socket class will work. Just launch it on a separate thread. I find ConcurrentQueue is useful for communication between networking threads and the main thread.

3. Dmidecode

Dmidecode

Thank you very much for your answer !
    I found some useful ressources about Aws Services (Api Gateway / Lambda / Dynamo DB) to have a web socket server and Unity to communicate between those.
    I will check what you said.
    Have a good day :)

4. mischa2k

mischa2k

You can check out Telepathy, it's the best scaling approach to managed TCP in Unity as far as I know.
    Async / SocketAsyncEventArgs performs way better outside of Unity, but in Unity it doesn't.

5. Dmidecode

Dmidecode

Thank you @vis2k ! It looks wonderful.
    So if I want to implement Telepathy, server side: I must create a scene in Unity with no camera and only gameobject which will have network script on them or is there another way ?