Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to create fast stylized game assets?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by JannickL, Jul 14, 2017.

1. JannickL

JannickL

Hello there,
    i was wondering if there is a fast way to create some stylized game assets. Usually we use maya/blender/zbrush + substance painter but it seems to be pretty hard to create some stylized textures with substance. I think maya (low poly) + photoshop (hand painted) is a good way but is there another way?

Would you prefer sculpting (high poly) + baking + texturing or modeling (low- / mid poly) + texturing?

We are searching for an efficient way to create a stylized game, we have "only" created games with realistic textures so far. Would be great to get some ideas :)

Greets

2. neoshaman

neoshaman

What do you mean stylized graphics? there is literally zillion of way of doing stylization and some do have realistic textures, also skill generally transfer from realistic to stylized better than the other way around, so I don't understand. Do you have image comparison?

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. JannickL

JannickL

Like these (the first one is a painting):

Actually i think the fastest way is sculpting + baking and assigning materials with simple colors in substance.

4. Farelle

Farelle

I have also soon versions, where you use gradient textures(like actually simple gradients) and assign the UVs accordingly and some of the details would be then actually worked into the mesh instead of using the texture.
    Ooblets is using that technique and "Astro Cat" is also using it and making tutorials about it: https://twitter.com/minionsart
    it's likely not exactly what you are looking for, but it's surely a way to be able to work really fast :)

5. neoshaman

neoshaman

Both image have realist lighting, the second has all details in mesh, only the proportion are toonish in both case.

I see nothing in that first image you can't do with substance, the rendering is actually very realist, just bright and vivid like a toy, with bright ambient and lighting.

Tone down the contrast of details it should work, also there is way to render tiles with chipped away border with substance.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. DreamyCherryBoat

DreamyCherryBoat

I've been searching for that answer for over a year now. Making graphics always takes me like an entire day just to make one simple character. ;)

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Don't be hard on yourself - making good art takes time, and rushing ones self through a process that requires time usually results in issues that can cause problems later down the development road.
    Complexity of style, detail and advanced elements of a character asset always takes longer to complete than simplified styles and details.

+ If the goal is to create high quantity at the fastest rate - quality will have to be reduced. It's just fact.
    + If quality is something that is important to your (our) game - either quantity will need to be reduced or speed of creation and deadline to the final build will have to be extended.

Quantity, speed and quality can not all be accomplished, unless cost is factored into the equation.

TeagansDad likes this.