Search Unity

How to create curved text for curved retro monitor?

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by idchlife, Oct 10, 2017.

1. idchlife

idchlife

New to Unity and to whole 3d engine things, now something from JavaScript 3d engines but that basically it is. Also doing some simple modeling in blender.

After digging info for a day about topic I discovered the best solution is mostly paid, if you want it quickly.
    But I have time and I want to spend it on learning new things and creating some things from scratch.

I learned that TextMesh doesn't have overall vertices to work with or actual mesh to work with vertices in script.

This making TextMesh something (as I see it) as rarely needed in it poor clean state.

I also looked into UI with world spacing so it won't be in front of the camera all the time. But again, it doesn't have ways to modify to work with vertices.

I suspect that there is way to draw directly on the created material or to work with shaders - e.g. creating shader that will make simple plane or text mesh bend somewhere.
    Another thought I had - creating multiple 3d texts rotating them that they would seem like one big text bending (maybe that's the way?)

Masters of unity programming and creating, tell me please, in which direction should I look and dig to learn how to create such thing from scratch by myself learning more and more about 3d world and maybe shaders?

2. philc_uk

philc_uk

Use renderToTexure - render everything to a specific camera, and render that camera to a texture, then use that as the albedo on a material, then use the material on a sphere or your mesh, and you will be rendering a final output onto a mesh surface like a tv screen.

idchlife likes this.