Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

How to create an assembly definition file

Discussion in '2017.2 Beta' started by bpeake, Jul 7, 2017.

1. bpeake

bpeake

I just downloaded 2017.2b and can't seem to find how to create an assembly definition file. I've tried on both mac and windows editors and don't see any option for it. Has anyone else had luck setting this up?

2. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

3. bpeake

bpeake

Oh that works perfectly, thanks!

4. Tuni

Tuni

Is the reference to another assembly.json file necessary if you have two or more assembly files?

5. bpeake

bpeake

It depends on if you are using code from those assemblies. If they do not have any dependencies then no reference is needed.

6. User340

User340

Do you have to create this file manually? Is there a way to create it from the editor GUI?

7. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

No, there is no specific editor GUI to create Assembly Definition Files yet.

8. User340

User340

Ok, I guess they're pretty easy to create from scratch.

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

The UI for this feature is still in development and expected to land after summer. For now you have to create them manually.

10. User340

User340

Ok. What is the UI going to look like?

11. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

I usually like UI but when dealing with code, staying in code seems better.
    Why didn't you guys chose one assembly per namespace? Maybe with an attribute [SeparateAssembly] to avoid breakage.

12. bdovaz

bdovaz

But manually defined files are going to still be there isn't it? It's critical for asset store publishers or to reuse existing code between projects. Because I assume that the proposed UI it's going to store that info in a ProjectSettings folder file.

I think that an UI for this isn't really useful because to generate an assembly you need to know to code and if you know that you don't mind to create manually a file that you only need to create or edit a few times in the project lifecycle.

laurentlavigne likes this.
  13. lukaszunity

lukaszunity

Administrator

The inspector will still use the files to store the assembly definition information. The only change that will happen when the inspector lands is that the assembly definition files extension will change from .assembly.json to .asmdef.

More info here: https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/example-project-assembly-definition-files.482313/