Search Unity

How to create a terrain that is in the shape of a brain? Making an educational game.

Discussion in 'World Building' started by ughdeeb, Oct 25, 2018.

1. ughdeeb

ughdeeb

Hi, noob here.

I am making an educational game and am trying to create the experience of the FPC walking on a brain.

Can anyone give me tips, or what to look up in order to do this more easily than using the terrain manager to make little brain bumps, etc?

I've heard displacement mapping might be a good strategy?

Thanks!

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi! Depends- what is your scale? Terrain can only do a flat-oriented surface...so a planet-shaped-like-a-brain won't work, if that makes sense :) If you just want wrinkly-brain-ground-texture, that'll be fine, however for a full brain shape you'd want to use a mesh, and a special (easy to find on Asset Store) character controller that treats the center of the brain-planet as "down".

3. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I'd recommend a tessellation shader or just biting the bullet and having a rather high res mesh. It can be quite performant still, surprisingly if it's just the one brain mesh.

4. ughdeeb

ughdeeb

Hi, thanks so much for your help. Could you point me in a direction to find such a mesh? Greatly appeciated.

5. ughdeeb

ughdeeb

Hi, the scale will actually be quite small. The user will be prescribed to walk down a certain path for a few minutes and will not be allowed to leave that path. They will mostly be just be able to look around and hear some educational audio I plan to record.

So wrinkly-brain-ground texture sounds perfect, could you direct me to some resources to help me do that? Perhaps a tutorial. Really appreciate the help!

6. Paul-Swanson

Paul-Swanson

This may help you:
    http://www.alfoart.com/brain-text-effect-1.html

Go about halfway down to the texture data part. Hopefully that helps.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would create a high res mesh, sculpt it with a ""brain pattern" . bake it to low res / normal and use this shader.
    separate the walking colliders....test, tweak...test again?

just an idea.

p-