Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to create a functioning UI in Unity 5

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by Griffo666, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Griffo666

Griffo666

I plan to implement a fully working UI system into the game engine, this will need a depleting/changing health bar, and a working ammunition gauge. The health bar will need to demonstrate depletion or some sort of change by pressing a key, the ammunition will also have to deplete when pressing a key. When the UI design is completed I will be able to add the designs to the functioning UI. I will be searching for other answers and will resolve my problem on here, this also means any tutorials I come across will be added to this post in the replies.

2. Schneider21

Schneider21

Since version 4.6, Unity has come built-in with a pretty darn nice UI system. There are also very highly rated third party systems that were developed before Unity's own system existed.

Is your plan to improve upon these systems in some way? Or to provide some feature or usability they don't provide?

Griffo666 and jhocking like this.
  3. jhocking

jhocking

Well do you already know how to use Unity other than building a UI? It's hard to give any specific advice without knowing more about where you're at/what your problem is.

Griffo666 likes this.
  4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Check out the UI stuff on the learn section. Then check out my YouTube channel for a few more techniques.

Griffo666 likes this.
  5. Griffo666

Griffo666

I've only just started using Unity so my knowledge on the game engine is extremely basic, I don't plan on improving any of the engines systems, I just want to know how to use them as they are, basic health bar that depletes and ammunition. Thanks for the tutorials!

I've never really used Unity until very recently, I'd like to know step by step how to create a depleting health bar and ammunition gauge from scratch

Thanks I'll check them out!

6. jhocking

jhocking

If you've never used Unity before, then you should probably focus on learning Unity in general rather than focus on a couple specific UI tasks. Not that having specific goals in mind is bad while learning (in order to learn you gotta be building something) but you are unlikely to find tutorials that start from scratch and build a UI without any underlying gameplay. You should probably first learn how to implement some gameplay, and then how to build UI that responds to that gameplay.

If you already know how to program (just not in Unity) then my book Unity in Action works great (and it covers UI halfway through) but otherwise you can start from the beginning with tutorials in the Learn section of this website.