Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Question How to create a fill effect (like in image) for TMP text?

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by Gunner22, Feb 24, 2022.

1. Gunner22

Gunner22

How can I animate a TMP text with a fill effect. I took a look at some examples from TMP package but I can't figure out how to do it is it even passible?

2. homer_3

homer_3

This sounds like what I was just trying to do the other day. To achieve it, I changed the shader of the TMP object to TextMeshPro/Mobile/Distance Field - Masking. Then in the debug settings, you can play with the clip rect values to find your boundaries. For me, I just wanted to do a vertical fill and I found my boundaries in the T field were -1.25 to 1.25. Then I just made a script to set the _ClipRect parameter in the shader to do the fill.

3. Gunner22

Gunner22

I doesn't seem to work. It changes the preview of font asset but it is not doing anything to the font itself.

4. Gunner22

Gunner22

Can you maybe share picture of your material preset.

5. homer_3

homer_3

My attached image shows the shader, debug settings, text field, and result. In the result at the bottom there are 2 TMP text objects. The one in black uses a regular Distance Field shader. The one in blue is doing the fill effect. I set T in Clip Rect to 1 to get it to not fill all the way to the top.

6. Gunner22

Gunner22

I changed my shader setting and the preview shows change on font asset but nothing is really happening to the text itself. When I add a mask texture and change wipe possition there is some amsking but I don't know what the right texture for horizontal fill should be.
    Here are shader settings:
    upload_2022-3-2_12-52-17.png

7. Gunner22

Gunner22

I ended creating a simple gradient texture like you can find in TMP examples and extras (wipe pattern for example) just made it horizontal for the mask texture in debug settings. Than I added rect mask 2d to text parent so it override the text rect and I control the mask amount by changing wipe position.

If anybody needs more details maybe this forum post can help:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/tmp-mask-shader.673696/

Last edited: Mar 3, 2022