Search Unity

Resolved How to create a color RGB texture?

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Volchok, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Volchok

Volchok

Hi!

Please tell me if there are any programs in the world with which I can create such textures for shaders? :)
    With different resolutions and the right coloring.

Thanks!

2. bgolus

bgolus

Those just look like three different perlin / “cloud” noises packed into different color channels of the texture. I make different versions of those in Photoshop / Gimp / Krita for basically every project I work on.

Volchok likes this.
  3. Volchok

Volchok

Thanks! That is, I just create perlin noises and throw them into the image channels? And where can I create different noises? Is there such a program? Or should I create noises, for example in Maya/3DS Max or with some Photoshop filters?

4. bgolus

bgolus

Photoshop calls it cloud noise.

Volchok likes this.
  5. Volchok

Volchok

Thanks! I will try. The question is closed. :) Filter-->Render-->Clouds

6. mgear

mgear

just adding quick free alternative, works in browser (same Filter/Render/Clouds)
    https://www.photopea.com/

*probably needs power of 2 image size, to have seamless pattern

Volchok likes this.
  7. Ruchir

Ruchir

Sorry for the noob question, but how to make the noise tileable?:oops:

8. mgear

mgear

at least power of 2 resolutions seems to work, like 256x256, 512x512 and more..

Volchok likes this.
  9. bgolus

bgolus

Photoshop's cloud noise is tileable by default, if you use have a square image. (I don't know anything about Photopea to know if it works the same way.) However most other applications will not produce tileable noise, and Photoshop's cloud filter is somewhat unique in as almost nothing else Photoshop does attempts to be tileable. In fact if you apply almost any other Photoshop filter to the cloud noise it'll produce something that no longer tiles.

My trick is I make a cloud noise, increase the canvas size by 200% and copy it into all 4 quadrants of the texture. Then I apply the filters I want and crop back to the original size. Most of the time that produces a still seamlessly tiling image. If it doesn't then I fall back to the old school "how do you make a seamlessly tiling image" which basically means hand painting away the seams using the stamp tool and/or fancy edge blends.

The alternative is to use something like Substance Designer, which has a ton of tools for making seamless noise built in. If you have a 3D modelling tool a trick to making seamless textures from 3D noise is to bake textures off of a torus.

Volchok and Ruchir like this.