Search Unity

How To Create 3D Destructible Voxels?

Discussion in 'Game Design' started by Macpac123, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Macpac123

Macpac123

I saw a video of game or engine that has 3D voxels being destroyed into smaller voxels. This got me excited, and interested. Here's a link to the video:

I was wondering if anyone can point me in a direction on how to recreate something like this? Or explain how this works.

Thanks for your time!
    Connor.

2. JoeStrout

JoeStrout

It's just a matter of dynamic mesh creation. Not really a game design question, though it does raise interesting game design questions, like "how does this add to the fun?" and "what happens to all that debris lying around?"

tylerguitar75 and Macpac123 like this.
  3. Martin_H

Martin_H

Using environmental destruction to solve traversal based challenges can be immensely satisfying and is an underused mechanic because of the great technical challenges that it creates for the developers.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/205910/Tiny_and_Big_Grandpas_Leftovers/

Macpac123 likes this.
  4. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, in fact, this is kinda the entire foundation of Noita as well, a game that is easily my favourite Spelunkey 'em Up

5. Macpac123

Macpac123

I'm thinking the game Doom with environmental destruction would be awesome.

6. tylerguitar75

tylerguitar75

Of course it is harder on the PC if you let the debris accumulate, but it's more interesting. I like when you see destruction in games and the debris sits awhile, then it flashes intermittently until it disappears. Just a cool graphical design, IG.