Search Unity

How to correctly utilise AssetBundles - Massive memory usage, 4x more than Resource folder

Discussion in 'Asset Bundles' started by Mowtine, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Mowtine

Mowtine

I'm having a lot of trouble figuring out how I am meant to use asset bundles so they don't take gigabits of RAM. I am downloading my bundles with:

Code (CSharp):
    1. UnityWebRequest request = UnityWebRequestAssetBundle.GetAssetBundle(url,version,0)
    2. AssetBundle bundle = DownloadHandlerAssetBundle.GetContent(request);
    Then saving that bundle to a variable in a singleton for access during runtime: data_bundle = bundle; Then, when I need the images for my cards in the bundle, I load them all into a dictionary from the bundle like so:

Code (CSharp):
    1. imageCache[imageName] = data_bundle .LoadAsset<Sprite>(imageName);
    And then when a card needs an image take it from the imageCache.

I do the exact same thing with the Resource folder, the below two are the profiler for using the resource folder and using asset bundles when I load the same images into the cache:
    AssetBundles: (1.66gb textures)
    AssetBundlesSize.JPG
    Resources: (0.66gb textures)
    ResourcesSize.JPG

Something is obviously wrong here, but I have no idea what it could be and why.
    Specifications:
    Android build - I have built the asset bundles for android as well (I assume they use the same import settings as Resources)
    Unity V: 2020.3.17

What could I be doing wrong?

Add comment

2. Mowtine

Mowtine

This seemed to be caused by different import settings on my assets from my resources and the folder where the bundle was being made.

I would still appreciate any advice on whether this is the correct method to use bundles.