Search Unity

1. Get all the Unite Berlin 2018 news on the blog.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity 2018.2 has arrived! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. We're looking for your feedback on the platforms you use and how you use them. Let us know!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Improve your Unity skills with a certified instructor in a private, interactive classroom. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. ARCore is out of developer preview! Read about it here.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Magic Leap’s Lumin SDK Technical Preview for Unity lets you get started creating content for Magic Leap One™. Find more information on our blog!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Want to see the most recent patch releases? Take a peek at the patch release page.
    Dismiss Notice

How to copy animations from arms to another set of arms

Discussion in 'Animation' started by jnbbender, May 11, 2018.

1. jnbbender

jnbbender

I'm not sure how I can perform this task. I have two sets of arms for a first person shooter, 1 set that is fully animated that shoots a gun, etc. Another set that is a beautiful PBR asset but not animated at all. How can I port the assets from one set of arms to another? Maybe even with the Animation Controller?
    I tried duplicating the mesh of the original and duplicating those animations but I couldn't add them to the arms. Any help would be great.

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

This can be accomplished externally pretty quickly - skinning the PBR arms onto the animated bones. Max/Maya have a skin wrap modifier that can do this in about 5 minutes.
    Internally - the transforms of each bone can be copied/pasted to other bones as long as they meet a couple points, same size/length/orientation/scale, name, and one other criteria I can't remember right away.
    Otherwise - I believe some assets can assist with this task.

3. jnbbender

jnbbender

Thanks for the reply. Although I don't have 3-D Max or Maya. I'm not even that good with blender. For assets the only thing I do have is Umotion pro although I don't know if it will do anything like that.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b