Search Unity

How to convert pngs with premultiplied alpha in Photoshop

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by gecko, Aug 3, 2019.

1. gecko

gecko

I've got some splatmap pngs which apparently have premultiplied alpha. Photoshop preserves that, so they're very hard to read/edit. I've looked for plugins and methods to convert them to "normal" but no luck so far. Can anyone advise me on how to do that?

thanks!

2. Torbach78

Torbach78

superPNG read/writes alpha as expected, default (or iirc hold alt while open) popup allows you to extract RGB onto transparent layer using an alpha channel
    upload_2019-8-4_3-2-46.png

you can also cntrl+click an alpha channel to make a selection copy RGB off background to save as a transparent layer.... but you'll need to re-accentuate color on soft edging
    upload_2019-8-4_3-4-43.png

3. gecko

gecko

Thanks! I had been trying with SuperPNG but couldn't get it to do anything. Finally managed to Alt-Double Click on the file to open that dialog, and now it works.

4. brownboot67

brownboot67

In photoshop... On the top menu under layer, layer mask, there is an option like 'mask from layer' something like that which will move the alpha into a mask on the layer which you can then move to an alpha channel. On my phone or I'd be more specific.