Search Unity

Showcase how to convert byte array to nativearray<byte> and vice versa ?

Discussion in 'Unity Transport' started by mohammadrezah, Jul 19, 2021.

1. mohammadrezah

mohammadrezah

hello
    I want to send byte array from server to client with unity transport . how do I do this?

Code (CSharp):
    1.          NetworkPipeline pipline = ServerCode._UnreliablePipline;
    2.             if (ServerCode.m_serverDrive.BeginSend(pipline, clientlistener.m_connections, out var sendData) == 0)
    3.             {
    4.                 sendData.WriteBytes(bytearray);
    5.                 ServerCode.m_serverDrive.EndSend(sendData);
    7.             }

Error :

[I]Argument 1: cannot convert from 'byte[]' to 'Unity.Collections.NativeArray<byte>'[/I]

2. mgear

mgear

3. mohammadrezah

mohammadrezah

I tried it and I faced with this error

Code (CSharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle.CheckReadAndThrow (Unity.Collections.LowLevel.Unsafe.AtomicSafetyHandle handle) (at <24599fe2776145d58ab771516c063d56>:0)
    4. Unity.Collections.NativeList`1[T].get_Length () (at Library/PackageCache/com.unity.collections@0.17.0-preview.18/Unity.Collections/NativeList.cs:223)

4. mohammadrezah

mohammadrezah

I solved my problem with this line code. but i got another error from this line.

Code (CSharp):
    3. NativeArray<byte> NativebyteArray = new NativeArray<byte>(bytearray, Allocator.Persistent);
    6.    NetworkPipeline pipline = ServerCode._UnreliablePipline;
    7.             if (ServerCode.m_serverDrive.BeginSend(pipline, ServerCode.m_connections[i], out var sendData) == 0)
    8.             {
    9.                 sendData.WriteBytes(NativebyteArray);
    10.                 ServerCode.m_serverDrive.EndSend(sendData);
    12.             }
    error:

Code (CSharp):
    1. A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Allocated from:
    2. Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1:.ctor(Byte[], Allocator)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2021
  5. luke-unity

luke-unity

After `EndSend` call `Dispose` on the native array. Also you probably want to use `Allocator.Temp` here instead of `Persistent`.

6. andrews_unity

andrews_unity

Unity Technologies

Also Allocator.Temp is faster here so I would as @luke-unity mention recommend using it but it should be kept around for longer than a frame.

7. NemanjaPavlovic

NemanjaPavlovic

So can we call Dispose on array that is allocated with persistent tag ? I don't think so ...

8. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Yes, you can (and really should) call
    Dispose
    on native arrays that were allocated persistently.

Persistent allocations are basically acquiring memory from the heap (think
    malloc
    if you've ever programmed in C). If you don't dispose of it after you don't need it anymore, it will stay there and keep using resources for nothing. I'm guessing the "persistent" name was chosen because the memory allocation will persist across jobs and frames.

9. NemanjaPavlovic

NemanjaPavlovic

Yes, but if I try I got this error all the time :InvalidOperationException: The Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1[System.Byte] has been set to undisposable and cannot be deallocated.

this is how its init : _data = new NativeArray<byte>(_rt.height * _rt.width * 4, Allocator.Persistent);

if i do next OnDestroy()
    {
    _data.Dispose();
    }

I have error saying that this is not possible ,

Last edited: Aug 17, 2022
  10. simon-lemay-unity

simon-lemay-unity

Unity Technologies

Are you perhaps using this native array with
    AsyncGPUReadback.RequestIntoNativeArray
    ? There are reports of issues when doing that. Or maybe you're passing it to a job and the job hasn't been properly completed when you try to dispose of it?

11. NemanjaPavlovic

NemanjaPavlovic

yes I use it with AsyncGPUReadback.RequestIntoNativeArray ,and from it i pass it to a job , so Async feeds data to a array than i pass it to a job to work on it ( encode it to a PNG ) .

12. NemanjaPavlovic

NemanjaPavlovic

Yes , GPU readback is holding nativeArray is need with it before I call destroy on object . Now its solved thank you for assistance and help.

13. cwidisgroup

cwidisgroup

if (byteArray.Length != 0) byteArray.Dispose();
    byteArray = new Unity.Collections.NativeArray<byte>(currentSize, Unity.Collections.Allocator.Persistent);
    Hello, I am new to Unity and C#, but I feel I face the same probelm. If my byteAaary is created like this, how can I dispose of it?

This is my error message:(Cwipc is a point cloud reader and renderer, in the form of a unity package)
    A Native Collection has not been disposed, resulting in a memory leak. Allocated from:
    Unity.Collections.NativeArray`1:.ctor(Int32, Allocator, NativeArrayOptions)
    Cwipc.PrerecordedPointCloudReader:GetComputeBuffer(ComputeBuffer&) (at Library\PackageCache\nl.cwi.dis.cwipc@959f2f9bec\Runtime\Scripts\PrerecordedPointCloudReader.cs:98)
    Cwipc.PointCloudRenderer:LateUpdate() (at Library\PackageCache\nl.cwi.dis.cwipc@959f2f9bec\Runtime\Scripts\PointCloudRenderer.cs:150)