Search Unity

How to completely unload scene loaded additively?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sergiusz308, Feb 17, 2020.

1. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

I have main scene, into which I load additively another scene.

That second scene I am unable to unloaded though using following code:

Code (CSharp):
    1. SceneManager.UnloadSceneAsync(this.CurrentScene, UnloadSceneOptions.UnloadAllEmbeddedSceneObjects);
    this.CurrentScene is a reference to the loaded scene struct.

Once unloading finished I also call Resources.UnloadUnusedAssets(); but it does not makes any difference, since whole hierarchy sits there like nothing happened.

I have only one object marked with "DontDestroyOnLoad" - in the main scene. The loaded scene does not have any such objects.

While in editor I am also unable to unload that scene - "Unload Scene" menu item is grayed out.

How to completely get rid of it?

2019.3.1f1.

Thanks,,
    S.

2. sergiusz308

sergiusz308

Well, for all out there who would encounter such problems in the future: the whole thing was my fault: I believe that this was the reason - instead of just using SceneManager.LoadSceneAsync and providing it with the name of the scene, I was creating new Scene first with SceneManager.CreateScene which returned an empty one, of the same name.

Next I was calling LoadSceneAsync giving newly created scene as a parameter.

As a result I got two scenes present at the same name - empty one, and the actual one, loaded up from the assets.

Upon calling UnloadSceneAsync nothing was happening at all - I believe Unity did not expect to have two scenes of the same name, so did nothing or just failed silently, since no message was displayed.

Anyway, I hate you Unity for being such a shy girl, when it comes to problems, caused by users ;-)