Search Unity

How to clear temporary cache memory

Discussion in 'Android' started by Hieronymo, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hieronymo

Hieronymo

Greetings everyone!

Today I joined the unity community, because I had a burning question. However, first let me say hello to you all! :)

Now onto the question:

I am developing a mobile app which features Augmented Reality. The goal of this app is to create a fun experience within an interactive tour through a specific street in the city where I live. This tour is divided into several locations, each one marked as a seperate chapter. Whenever one of these locations has been visited the user can not re-visit the same location a second time (in order to keep them from doing the same location over and over). This data is stored in the app's temporary folder on their android smartphone.

Now I have been looking for quite some time for a script which clears the user's cache memory when he or she has completed the game, so that the game is re-playable. Now the player needs to go to system settings and clear the temporary files manually, which can be quite a hassle.

Does anyone have any material on this subject or other tips to point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance :)

2. maeschba

maeschba

I don't know your data but with Unity you could use PlayerPrefs to store your variables and PlayerPrefs.DeleteAll to delete them.

3. Hieronymo

Hieronymo

Thank you. I will look into this function, I believe that it is exactly what I need!

4. Hieronymo

Hieronymo

Well I looked at it and it doesn't seem to work, but it was a push in the right direction since I know the name of the function that I am looking for.

"function ClearCache"

However, At this moment I have no idea whatsoever on how to succesfully implement this function within my script (I am a total failure when it comes to C#)

Now here is my script:

if(GUI.Button(new Rect(Screen.width/2-(80/2),410,80,40),"Back",style_BG)){
    Audiocontroller.PlayThis("Button");
    this.currentGUIMethod = MainMenu;
    camera.enabled=true;
    Tracker.camera.enabled=false;

}

So when the player presses the "Back" button I want the app to clear all cachedata (not uninstall the app, mind you). But how do I set off to implement this function?

5. Creative_Distrix

Creative_Distrix

6. cyborgjinx

cyborgjinx

I am also looking for a way to clear the app's cache as if it were done from the app manager.

Caching.ClearCache seems to only be for AssetBundles, which I'm not using.

7. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Where and how are you storing the "temporary files" that you then need to delete?

8. cyborgjinx

cyborgjinx

The only files that seem to be getting cached are Unity Ads.

My android game is getting low memory errors. I'm printing a Debug.Log from Application.LowMemory.

9. Ikaro88

Ikaro88

any solution?