Search Unity

Question How to clean up / optimize the animation clips produced by Face Capture?

Discussion in 'Virtual Production' started by dgoyette, Oct 21, 2022.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm testing out whether I'll use Face Capture to control lip sync and facial animations in my game. So far it's pretty promising. One thing I see is the animation clips that Face Capture produces aren't at all optimized. Every frame it records the positions of all blend shapes, which produces very large animation clips.

Unity can optimize animations, but only for animations that come in through an FBX file or similar. I don't see a way to simplify the animation clip that's already in Unity. I've even tried exporting the animation clip in an FBX, so I can reimport it. But the clip doesn't seem to show up at all.

Is there a recommended approach to optimizing the Face Capture animation clips, to keep their memory and performance impact down?

2. ScottSewellUnity

ScottSewellUnity

Unity Technologies

@dgoyette In the upcoming 4.0 release of the Live Capture package, keyframe reduction is available for the Virtual Camera and Face Capture devices, with configurable error tolerance for the curves.

akent99 and dgoyette like this.
  3. dgoyette

dgoyette

Sounds great. Any rough idea when that will be released? Weeks? Months?

4. ScottSewellUnity

ScottSewellUnity

Unity Technologies

Right now, the Live Capture 4.0.0-pre.1 version is available if you want to try the feature.

I can't make a guarantee for when the verified version will release, but I'd expect something relatively soon.

dgoyette likes this.