Search Unity

How to choose project at startup Unity on Windows

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TwiiK, Apr 7, 2009.

1. TwiiK

TwiiK

Hi,

I'm wondering how I can choose which project to open when I start Unity. Or generally how to open two projects at the same time. As it is now I only get an error message telling me I can't open the same project twice when all I want to do is have two different projects open at the same time.

I think I've read that on mac you can hold alt and click the shortcut, but that does nothing on windows. I have been able to open two projects at once by quickly choosing another projects within Unity as I start Unity again thus getting both the old project and the new project running, but I'm unable to make that work anymore and it's a big hassle to say the least. :)

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Holding down Alt really should do the trick... if it's not working for you then it's a bug, or you're just not pressing the key down hard enough ;)

Melang likes this.
  3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

You could always use the preferences option to have the project picker come up at start-up...that way you don't have to hold down any keys even a little bit.

--Eric

4. TwiiK

TwiiK

Holding down alt brings up the shortcut properties as with every other shortcut on Windows.

Guess I'll have to stick with one project at a time. :)

Edit: Ahh, brilliant Eric. Thanks alot. The extra 2 seconds involved with choosing a project is something I can bare even when I want the same project 49 out of 50 times in a row. :wink:

5. tewe76

tewe76

Here also (and i didn't know that, BTW 8) )

6. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Are you guys sure? Please file a bug with what set-up you're using because Alt has worked on every Windows computer I've tested it on so far.

7. UntoldEnt

UntoldEnt

Same problem - holding down ALT and double-clicking the shortcut on Win XP Pro version 2002 SP 3 brings up the Shortcut options window.

- Ryan

8. LoTekK

LoTekK

Hold ALT after double-clicking. ;)

KWaldt likes this.
  9. Shaba1

Shaba1

Yep that worked for me.I had been wracking my brain trying to remember that key.

10. electro61

electro61

It turns out you have to hit alt REALLY quickly for it to work. I mean REALLY quickly. Like before the splash screen appears :)

11. ltwade

ltwade

The Unity editor now accepts a command line argument -projectPath with which you can specify a project path. The path you specify is the directory which contains the subdirectories Assets, ProjectSettings, etc.

For example, on the property sheet for a Windows shortcut, add this to the Target field:

-projectPath "C:\Unity Projects\DisgruntledAvians"

Then when you launch Unity with that shortcut it will open the DisgruntledAvians project regardless of what was previously loaded

See the Command line arguments topic in the Unity manual.

rakkarage likes this.
  12. mechanicalpig

mechanicalpig

Ha yeah its a little trickey, double click the unity icon then very quickly hold alt.

It's sort of an art.

13. radiantboy

radiantboy

the art has become blacker than ever, you have to be super human to do this.

14. alexman

alexman

I had the same problem as I'm working on two projects with different versions of Unity at the same time.

For the current version ( 2018.3.1 ) goto Preferences and untock "Load Previous Project on Startup"