Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to check Unity Analytics is working without th validator?

Discussion in 'Unity Analytics' started by Mariusz_M, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Mariusz_M

Mariusz_M

Hi. I have just spent a few hours googling how to make Analytics work, as there was no Analytics event component in my new Unity 2019.2.18f1. I read all the manuals and as far as I understood, there everything needed to successfully run Analytics should have been included in my installation, but it was not.

First I downloaded the package from Assest stor, although it should hav been preinstalled.

Then I finally got the component and in the package manager I cold finally see something about Analytics. It was some kind on library I could install, so I installed it.

Then I set up verything in my project and wen to Servics/Analytics to see oit in the validator and realised there was no validator, althoug all videos and tutorials I have found said to go to the validator and check if Analytics is working...

Now I have just learnt from this forum that the validator was removed from the new version.. Great... So what instead? How can I make sure events are being sent? I tested the game in the Gam View only and clicked all butons with events several times. It was over 5 hours ago and still nothing on the dashboard. Am I doing anything wrong? Who can I check if Analytics is working wihout the validator?

2. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Once you enable Analytics, click on the Go to Dashboard link at the top of the Services window. It takes our system 8-16 hours to process new events, but you should see events listed on the Event Manager tab.

3. simpleonegame

simpleonegame

All my events are not getting updated in the event manager. I'm trying to make a funnel analyzer. I have custom events for 30 levels and few other custom events for some other purposes. But can see only a few in the event manager. What am I doing wrong? I know I can send 100 events per hour, but the number of custom events i'm sending is way lesser than that. Also should I be creating new dictionaries every time I fire a new custom event?
    upload_2020-5-20_10-25-12.png

Last edited: May 20, 2020
  4. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Your dictionary is null each time, there is no need to send it. And make sure to check your return code:

AnalyticsResult ar = AnalyticsEvent.Custom("3_Level");
    Debug.Log("Result is " + ar.ToString());

https://forum.unity.com/threads/tips-for-new-unity-users.701864/#post-5057741

simpleonegame likes this.
  5. simpleonegame

simpleonegame

By saying " there is no need to send it" do you mean that the custom analytic event can't be sent to the services dashboard i.e. Event Manager or since I'm not using any param, I should not make any dictionary at all?

if I don't make a dictionary, would this alone work?
    upload_2020-5-20_21-18-58.png

As per your suggestion I've also checked the return code. All seems Ok.

Result is Ok
    UnityEngine.Debug:Log(Object)

if Ok, why all the 30 events are not showing up? it's more than 24 hours by now.

I'm pretty noob at programming. I've attached a diagram of how I'm trying to send the custom event to the Event Manager.
    upload_2020-5-20_21-13-26.png

I've successfully sent some events like this
    upload_2020-5-20_21-14-59.png
    with 1_Level, 2_Level I'll try to make a funnel, isn't it how it works?

Attached Files:

6. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Please use the exact code that I shared. You need to check the return code. Your dictionary is empty, so no need to send it as it doesn't contain any information.

7. simpleonegame

simpleonegame

Thank you very much Jeff! I've used the code you've shared. What I'm getting in return is "TooManyRequests". I've looked for it and found that, in an hour the game shouldn't send more than 100 events. Since my function was in Update, it was sending many. Now I've put it in Start. Would this work if I start sending after an hour? If the answer is no, how can I fix this?

8. JeffDUnity3D

JeffDUnity3D

Definitely don't send in Update. You only want to send an event once, when the user begins the level, etc. You can try again after an hour or more.

9. simpleonegame

simpleonegame

Thank you very much! You saved the day :)