Search Unity

Official How to check roadmap and provide feedback

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by ali_mohebali, Aug 11, 2022.

1. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

You can access the Rendering And Visual Effects roadmap page through the Unity Product roadmap portal. Using this page, you can explore current plans for how we aim to evolve our different areas and send your feedback directly to the teams responsible for developing them.

Roadmap page format
    We have currently categorized the roadmap page into seven sections that you can access by using the tabs at the top:
    1. Universal Pipeline
    2. High Definition Pipeline
    3. Shader Graph
    4. VFX Graph
    5. Global Illumination
    6. Shader System
    7. Foundation
    Most areas are self-explanatory.
    The Shader System segment provides details on the foundation of the Unity Shader System and its API, including handwritten shaders.
    The Foundation section provides roadmap information on our core graphics features and functionality. It includes areas such as Geometry, Texturing, Visibility and Culling, Device and Driver abstraction (platform agnostic), our pipeline agnostic rendering functionality, and Scriptable Render Pipeline foundation.

Each section follows the same swim lane format. Starting from the top:

Released - (version)LTS
    This swimlane always provides features released in the latest LTS available. We will only update this section when a new LTS is released and available.

Released - (version) (Alpha/Beta)
    Following the LTS release swimlane, there are one or two tech release segments. They provide information on features and functionality released in the recent tech streams. When a new LTS is released, the contents of these swimlanes are moved to the LTS section (replacing the old LTS), and we repopulate these sections again with information about the upcoming tech streams. Alpha or Beta at the end of the titles indicates the release state. This section also helps bring visibility to what’s available for user testing and feedback before the feature is solidified in the upcoming release.

We look forward to your feedback to make further adjustments to landed features in Alpha or Beta based on your feedback.

In Progress
    This swimlane includes information on the features we are actively working on, but they are not released yet. We want to provide visibility of what will potentially land in the upcoming tech stream releases. When the features in this swimlane land, we will move them to the appropriate Released swimlanes.

Planned
    This section provides upcoming features and functionality that we have discussed and prioritized in the team for development but haven’t started making progress yet. We will move items from this section to In Progress swimlane when things are in active development.

Under Consideration
    The last section provides information about features we haven’t prioritized or scheduled for development yet, and we are still assessing them. We also consider your feedback for items in this section to decide on priority and importance. Some cards in this section will come from your input for new ideas (see the next section).

How can I provide feedback via the Product Roadmap?
    As you browse through the various sections of the roadmap page, you may come across an existing feature on which you want to share your feedback. Click on a card to expand it, and indicate how important that feature is to you by ranking it as Nice-to-have, Important or Critical. Please provide your use cases and why this feature is crucial for you. The additional information you provide plays an essential role in our decision regarding the prioritization of the feature. It also helps us ensure that our design and implementation of the features cover your specific needs.

In every section of the Product Roadmap, you’ll find a card titled “Submit a new idea!”. We’d love to hear your ideas for adding new features to our products. If there is a feature you feel is important and missing from our roadmap, fill out the new idea card, indicate your priority and submit. Again, the more information you provide about your use cases and requirements, the better. Try to use the new idea card in the most relevant part of the roadmap as much as possible, so the feedback is immediately routed to the correct owners. Sometimes it might not be obvious for you to decide on the right section for your feedback. When in doubt, submit it through the Foundation section, and we will triage it correctly.

What you can expect from the Unity Product Roadmap:
    • Find information about new product features currently in development
    • Opportunity to share feedback on specific features currently in development
    • Please make your voice heard by suggesting ideas for new features you’d like to see added to our products
    • Send your feedback and ideas directly to the Product Managers responsible for each product area
    • Contribute to shaping the future direction of our products
    What Unity Product Roadmap is not for:
    • Connecting and engaging in discussions with other Unity users
    • Reporting bugs
    • Finding educational or support materials
    Can I see my previous feedback submissions?
    You can view your earlier submissions on each card by logging in using your Unity ID at the top right corner of the page.

Can I submit feedback and make requests directly in the forums?
    The forums allow you to share and publicly discuss solicited and unsolicited feedback. Many teams and individuals at Unity follow conversations, actively engage on the forums, or even start discussion threads to gather user feedback. Please note, however, that the forums are first and foremost a community space, and engagement is primarily community driven. For this reason, answers or reactions to your posts are not guaranteed. So feel free to provide feedback in the forums and discuss with the community, and we will also try to engage. But if you are making a request and want guarantees on your feedback to be noticed and triaged by the owners promptly, we suggest submitting them through the Roadmap pages.

What you can expect from the Unity Forums:
    • Engage in asynchronous discussions with other users and Unity team members about Unity-related topics
    • Post questions, find answers, and share knowledge
    • Connect with the community
    What the Unity Forums are not for:
    • The forums are primarily a community space, and as such, answers or reactions to your posts are not guaranteed

How do I submit bug reports?
    Check out our webpage with instructions on how to report bugs here. You can also discuss bugs in the forums, especially if you are looking for temporary workarounds until they are resolved. However, please submit the bugs through the link provided above. This way, we can ensure our teams are aware of the issues and can action them as soon as possible.

As always, we look forward to hearing from you. So if you have any feedback regarding our public graphics roadmap and feature request process, feel free to use the thread here.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2022
    elisdq, M_MG_S, DevDunk and 7 others like this.
  2. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Would love to see register/get value support for shadergraph. I know a lot of people would love this functionality (example: https://github.com/Cyanilux/ShaderGraphVariables). I think I submitted the idea few times throughout the past months/years but if the idea does not end up in 'under consideration' does that mean the idea will not see the light of day ever? Should I re-submit to get it into under consideration so people can vote on it?

Also, would it be possible to see the vote count publicly?

JesOb likes this.
  3. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

Hi @alexanderameye, I checked, your feedback is there, and it's attached to a proposed feature called "Shader Graph Get/Set Node". It's not exposed on the roadmap yet, but I have asked the Shader Graph product manager to see if it makes sense to expose it publically. I do agree that this or a similar workflow concept is important to help with the usability of Shader Graph for more complex shaders. I'll get back to you in this one.

We follow the general Unity format and guidelines for public roadmaps and don't expose the number of votes. For transparency, the vote count plays an essential role in prioritization, but it's not the only factor.

alexanderameye likes this.
  4. sqallpl

sqallpl

@ali_mohebali

I've submitted one idea and it's visible for me in the 'submit a new idea' card. Anyway, there is something wrong with the formatting. All new lines were ignored and text is not formatted the same way it was in the submit form.

Thanks.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2022
    ali_mohebali likes this.
  5. ali_mohebali

ali_mohebali

Unity Technologies

Cheers, I can see your recent submission, Thanks for the thorough feedback. The formatting looks ok in our inbox. I sent you a DM and asked for a screenshot of what it looks like on your end. I can then forward it to the team to fix the issue.

6. Sylmerria

Sylmerria

7. AljoshaD

AljoshaD

Unity Technologies

Parts of co-existence could be done in 23.2. At that time, you likely be able to install both packages in your project and build different scenes with a different pipeline. To call it done, we want to have a good workflow to manage scenes that target different pipelines. And have reasonable build times. And we want to make sure when you build for one pipeline no resources are included that target the other pipeline. And that runtime performance is not impacted. We might not get there for 23.2.

Alexpi8, Sylmerria and JesOb like this.
  8. jjxtra

jjxtra

As of urp 13 modifying screen space shadow texture is no longer possible. This isn’t mentioned in the migration guides. Is this still possible?

9. LeonhardP

LeonhardP

Unity Technologies

This is not the place to ask for updates about specific roadmap items. Please look for existing related discussions or start new threads.

10. Marks4

Marks4

Hi @LeonhardP , thank you for your reply. Regarding my question, there is already a forum post about it from 2019, with no answer. I deleted my question here, I'd appreciate it if you could give some input on the aforementioned post. Thank you for your time.

11. jjxtra

jjxtra

I haven’t found anything in the forums and I’ve tried posting multiple times. Just looking for official word from unity if screen space shadow modification was dropped as a feature in urp or if it’s a bug.

12. Thaina

Thaina

Checking the productboard make me curious about relationship between DOTS and VFX graph

Specifically this 2 cards

https://portal.productboard.com/wkjyyxmtns7dipwofp19pj8r/c/1362-ecs-based-visual-scripting
    https://portal.productboard.com/8ufdwj59ehtmsvxenjumxo82/c/102-cpu-simulation

I mean, if we have ability to work with DOTS as a node graph, would it be the same as VFX graph? We would have something akin to particle system that can run everywhere. And we might be utilized GPU for DOTS in the same way as VFX graph

13. JulienF_Unity

JulienF_Unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Thaina,

There are plans to add CPU backend in VFX Graph by leveraging DOTS technology in the future. This would indeed allow to run simulations on either CPU or GPU with a shared feature subset.

Now VFX Graph is different from a generic Visual Scripting system, a lot more constrained and geared towards simulating and rendering lots of elements for graphics/VFX purpose specifically.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2023
    jiraphatK, JesOb, mgear and 1 other person like this.
  14. Jack_Martison

Jack_Martison

Any news about 3d world building? It got stuck somewhere in 2012 being untouched forever. We still have to choose least broken solution to place trees and vegetation.