Search Unity

Question How to check for the closest game object to player

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by S4MA3L, Jul 1, 2020.

1. S4MA3L

S4MA3L

I was wondering if there is an efficient method to find the closest object to the player from the scene in unity during runtime. I am hoping to run a function only when the player character is at a certain distance from the closest game object. (2d game)

2. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Assuming your player has a rigidbody component, make a child GameObject of your player and attach a trigger collider to it. Then attach a script to the player that listens for OnTriggerEnter.

3. S4MA3L

S4MA3L

Thanks a lot PraetorBlue.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  4. PraetorBlue

PraetorBlue

Why do you need to know the closest GameObject? OnTriggerEnter will tell you which object has entered the trigger zone.

5. Vryken

Vryken

Assuming you have a collection of GameObjects within a certain radius from the player:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject[] nearbyObjects;
    You can get the distance of each one from your player by looping through and subtracting their positions from your player's position, then using the value of the returned
    sqrMagnitude
    . Keep a cached variable of the current closest distance while looping through the GameObjects and update it if the next object's distance is smaller than the cached variable.
    Something like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. GameObject GetNearestObject(GameObject sourceObject, GameObject[] nearbyObjects) {
    2.    GameObject nearestObject = null;
    3.    float nearestDistance = float.MaxValue;
    5.    for(int i = 0; i < nearbyObjects.Length; i++) {
    6.       float distance = (nearbyObjects[i].transform.position - sourceObject.transform.position).sqrMagnitude;
    8.       if(distance < nearestDistance) {
    9.          nearestObject = nearbyObjects[i];
    10.          nearestDistance = distance;
    11.       }
    12.    }
    14.    return nearestObject;
    15. }
    How you get the collection of nearby GameObjects is up to you. You can use the trigger collider method above, or a physics overlap-sphere call, or have a preset cached array of objects to compare, etc.

EpicGamerEpic, aaron4202 and psykick1 like this.
  6. S4MA3L

S4MA3L

I want my player to enter a gravitational field of another GameObject only when it is at a fixed distance from the player. The trigger collider might work well for this I think. I am looking to find the closest GameObject and assign that specific game object to a script.