Search Unity

How to change VSCode's TargetFrameworkVersion

Discussion in 'Code Editors & IDEs' started by zIyaGtVm, Dec 17, 2018.

1. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

Hi, I just installed Unity2018.3 and reinstalled VisualStudio 2017 with frameworkVersion 4.7.1.

When I create a script in unity and open it by VSCode, errors turn out:
    Then I found VSCode changed Assembly-CSharp.csproj automatically.
    Even though I tried to open new script in VS2017 first, VSCode will reset it from v4.7.1 to v4.5.:confused:

Anyone knows how to avoid this?Thanks!

Unity version 2018.3.0f2
    VScode versio 1.30.0

2. StevenDelrue

StevenDelrue

You can manually set the framework to 4.7.1 in the project-file and the error will be gone.
    But the csproj-file gets regerenerated each time you reopen the project, so it's quite annoying :/ Would be nice if you manually set the Target Framework Version in Unity

3. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

Yes I manually set the framework to 4.7.1 in the project-file by texteditor, and it gets regerenerated.
    Would you tell me where to set the Target Framework Version in Unity?Thanks!
    u.png

4. tantx

tantx

5. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

6. tantx

tantx

7. zIyaGtVm

zIyaGtVm

anycolourulike likes this.
  8. StevenDelrue

StevenDelrue

I reinstalled visual studio community (studio, not code) with the .net frameworks and the error is gone now

9. rainssong

rainssong

10. Halcomb

Halcomb

You can edit a Visual Studio C++ project file to target different versions of the C++ platform toolset, the Windows SDK and the .NET Framework (C++/CLI projects only). By default, the project system uses the .NET Framework version and the auto clicker toolset version that correspond to the version of Visual Studio that you use to create the project. You can modify all these values in the .vcxproj file so that you can use the same code base for every compilation target.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
  11. SirIntruder

SirIntruder

Having plenty of experience with this, one thing that seems to work most reliably is to go:

VS Installer -> dropdown next to your latest VS installation -> Modify -> Individual components tab -> install all missing targeting packs (see attached screenshot)

Unlike manual installation of sdks, this just seems to work.

If you see 4.5.1 installed and it still doesn't work, it's likely there are multiple VS installations on your pc, and system is looking up another installation of Visual Studio. Get rid of all old Visual Studio installations and make sure the ones you use have needed targeting packs

Attached Files:

• vs.png
      vs.png
      File size:
      72.4 KB
      Views:
    Dio330go and Deleted User like this.
  12. Fattie

Fattie

INSANE SOLUTION YOU WON'T BELIEVE IF ON MAC

1. Download Rider (no, really)

2. Install the Rider package manager inside Unity

3. Probably restart every electronic device in your house

4. Launch Unity, set the external script editor as Rider - launch

5. Use Rider a few times, save, change files etc.

6. Quit RIder and Unity

7. Launch Unity - set the external script editor back to VSCode

8. In the Project panel, double-click on a c# file, VSCode will open

THE PROBLEM IS FIXED, VSCODE NOW WORKS

WTF? Hope it saves someone some hours

13. tbngrd

tbngrd

WTF indeed - from all the solutions online this is the only one that worked perfectly for me. Thank you so much!

Now what do we do if it happens again and the Rider trial version is over? Lol.

14. Fattie

Fattie

@tbngrd it's a good question !

I THINK the same applies if you actually use visual studio ... so I will try having both VS, and VSCode on my machine. I will "change to" VS when the problem arises!

By the way on my machines, every single time I happen to add a new C# file, the VSCode system breaks, and I have to do the Rider Trick. What a fiasco :/

the whole thing is so stupid .. wake up, Unity ..

15. L_Bens_Up

L_Bens_Up

I had this problem before, i had to change the Target Framework Version in the Assembly-CSharp.csproj every time i opened a new script in VS Code, i had the 4.8 version but it kept getting set back to 4.7.1 form some reason ....

i managed to fix this by going to the package manager and removing the visual studio package from my project, after that every time i opened a script, i found the target framework version to be 4.8 ....

16. nackerboss06

nackerboss06

not for me ;(

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

I manually installed 4.8 but the Target Framework Version in the Assembly-CSharp.csproj always reseted to 4.7.1 when I added a new script. And I couldn't manually install 4.7.1 because it said I already have a newer version installed and I didn't want to uninstall 4.8.

With your solution I easily could install 4.7.1 even without installing Visual Studio! Thanks!

18. aecanales

aecanales

Since this is one of the top results on Google, in case anyone else comes from the future with the same problem, the second answer in rainsong's link worked for me: https://gamedev.stackexchange.com/a/197737
    Looking at the source for the VSCode plugin, it seems as the target framework version is a hard-coded constant, so one way to fix it is by moving the package to your local package folder instead of the library cache and editing the source code to your targeted framework as explained in the stackexchange link.

19. leandiez

leandiez

Hi to all.
    I've opened an Issue on the GitHub of the Package to solve the hard coded FrameworkVersion.
    IDK if will have an answer or a solution, but if someone have time could try to commit the change through a Pull Request or suggest how to solve this.

Link to Issue: https://github.com/needle-mirror/com.unity.ide.visualstudio/issues/1

20. swedish_boy

swedish_boy

Another potential fix is just to regenerate the project files from the External Tools under Unity Preferences. This worked for me with Unity 2020.3 and Visual Studio 2019 (8.10.19) on macOS.

21. swedishfisk

swedishfisk

The GitHub issue was closed:

Does anyone know if there is an open ticket on the Unity side for this? I'm afraid it slipped through the cracks and this is very big issue for anyone who uses VSCode and happens to have a dependency that is compiled against 4.8.

22. swedishfisk

swedishfisk

Hey guys I have to bump this now, I've found a workaround to add a propertygroup to the *.csproj file:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <ResolveAssemblyReferenceIgnoreTargetFrameworkAttributeVersionMismatch>true</ResolveAssemblyReferenceIgnoreTargetFrameworkAttributeVersionMismatch>
    Unfortunately this gets overwritten, is there really no way of working with VSCode in Unity when one of your dependencies are compiled against a .net version later than
    v4.7.1?

The issue seems to be that the *.csproj file always gets autogenerated with this property:

Code (CSharp):
    1. <TargetFrameworkVersion>v4.7.1</TargetFrameworkVersion>

23. CTN-Originals

CTN-Originals

24. MrSalad7

MrSalad7

If anyone comes to this problem, here's my solution:
    1. Close your VSCode Projects
    2. Go to */YOURUNITYPROJECT/"Library/PackageCache/com.unity.ide.vscode@1.2.4/Editor/ProjectGeneration/ProjectGeneration.cs" There are sometimes multiple ProjectGeneration.cs files so go to that path exactly
    3. open ProjectGenerations.cs in VSCode (NOT ProjectGenerationFlags.cs)
    4. go to
      const string k_TargetFrameworkVersion = "v4.x.x";
      (line 146 on my pc)
    5. change the string to your framework version (...= "v4.8" for example)
    6. Save and close
    7. on Unity go to Assets -> Open C# Project
    8. as you'll see on the .csproj files the Version is now your desired one