Search Unity

How to change the material color of the object's children

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by febrarian2009, Aug 14, 2009.

1. febrarian2009

febrarian2009

Hello, does anyone know already how to change the material color of the object's child?

Say, I have a new Instantiated object and that object has its children, this would be the hierarchy:

new_object ---------no material
    object_child1 ---has material
    object_child2 ---has material

Once I instantiate the new_object, the script should find the object_child1's and object_child2's material and change its color, say to green.

I currently have this code which doesn't work and throws a null reference exception:

Code (csharp):
    1. Renderer[] childrenRenderer = new_object.GetComponentsInChildren(typeof(Renderer)) as Renderer[];
    2.             foreach(Renderer childRenderer in childrenRenderer)
    3.             {
    4.                 childRenderer.material.color = Color.green;
    5.             }
    Does anyone has a useful working code already there? Thanks.

2. half_voxel

half_voxel

What line is throwing a null reference exception?

3. tomvds

tomvds

For some unknown reason, GetComponentsInChildren constructs its return array as a Component[]. This means that Mono will prevent you from casting it to a Renderer[], even if it contains only Renderer objects. To fix your code, simply change childrenRenderer to a Component[] (the foreach will then work unaltered).

Also, I recommend to cast using (Component[]) rather than 'as Component[]'. Casting with 'as' returns null when something goes wrong, whereas casting with '()' immediately causes an appropriate exception, making it much clearer what went wrong.

4. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

The reason is probably that Unity's Javascript does not support Generics. Without a generic version of this method, what else could it return its results as? there are almost always more than one kind of component, and 'Component' is the nearest shared common ancestor. Component[] is the most sensible choice.

However, a neat way to solve the above problem is to do the casting within the foreach declaration:

Code (csharp):
    1. Component[] renderers = new_object.GetComponentsInChildren(typeof(Renderer));
    2. foreach(Renderer childRenderer in renderers)
    3. {
    4.     childRenderer.material.color = Color.green;
    5. }
    hope this helps!

- Ben

DMWijesuriya likes this.
  5. tomvds

tomvds

The problem is not that it returns a Component[]. That makes sense. The problem is that it creates the array as a Component[] instead of a Renderer[] (it knows this type, since that's a parameter of the function). This prevents casting to the derived type directly. Similar functions like FindObjectsOfType do this correctly and their results can indeed be cast to the derived type.

I made a feature request to fix GetComponentsInChildren. In that request, I attached the following script to demonstrate the problem and the solution:
    Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class ArrayCastingProblem : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     void Start ()
    8.     {
    9.         // desired behaviour, the result of GetComponentsInChildren can be cast directly
    10.         ArrayCastingProblem[] me = (ArrayCastingProblem[]) GetComponentsInChildrenDesired(typeof(ArrayCastingProblem));
    11.         Debug.Log(me[0].name);
    13.         // current behaviour, casting the result of GetComponentsInChildren causes an exception
    14.         me = (ArrayCastingProblem[]) GetComponentsInChildrenCurrent(typeof(ArrayCastingProblem));
    15.         Debug.Log(me[0].name);
    16.     }
    18.     // mockup of the current implementation of GetComponentsInChildren (obviously the real function does more than this one)
    19.     // note that casting the result to a derived type causes an exception
    20.     Component[] GetComponentsInChildrenCurrent(System.Type t)
    21.     {
    22.         Component[] returnArray = new Component[1];
    23.         returnArray[0] = GetComponent(t);
    24.         return returnArray;
    25.     }
    27.     // mockup of the desired implementation of GetComponentsInChildren (obviously the real function does more than this one)
    28.     // note that casting the result to the derived type works as expected
    29.     Component[] GetComponentsInChildrenDesired(System.Type t)
    30.     {
    31.         Component[] returnArray = (Component[]) System.Array.CreateInstance(t, 1);
    32.         returnArray[0] = GetComponent(t);
    33.         return returnArray;
    34.     }
    35. }
    Note that the only difference between the two functions is that the one not causing an exception initializes the array as type 't' rather than just Component[]. No generics needed at all.

6. duck

duck

Unity Technologies

Gotcha... :) thanks for the detailed explanation.

Hope they implement that fix (although could that break existing code, regarding webplayer content?)

In the meantime, I think casting in the foreach declaration is probably the neatest solution.

- Ben

7. febrarian2009

febrarian2009

Thanks to all of you guys for clear explanations, I'm glad that it works now. :D THANKS A MILLION!!! :D

8. DMWijesuriya

DMWijesuriya

Thank You So much