Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

How to change the install path?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by demonixis, Jan 24, 2018.

1. ishwara_bhat

ishwara_bhat

@AbrahamDUnity I confirm that i am able to install on d drive. After installing Unity Hub. I change the preferences. I set "The secondary location path". to d:\. Then installed Unity 2019.1.
    It installed on d drive.
    Only suggestion : 'secondary location path' gives the impression that it is 'the second preference'. It is actually the 'primary path.' Changing this text to simply "installation root path' or 'new installation folder' etc. would make it clearer.

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ishwara_bhat,

Thank you for posting. The reason it's called secondary install path is because we didn't want to move a user's Unity installs if they had already installed to the default path. I agree it could come off as awkward without context. We'll see how we can make this clearer with the team.

Cheers,

3. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Well frankly the way it should have been done, the way nearly every other similar "hub" application works, the way that is easiest and most obvious to an end user, is simply ask where you want to install each time you install a copy of the editor. When the user selects to install an Editor version, ask where to install it.

4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Actually the Hub is more of an install manager like Steam or the Jetbrains Toolbox. In such tool you can specify the install path but it's mostly handled for you.

5. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

In Steam when you install a game it asks you which library location you want to install it to. Sure you have to set those library locations up ahead of time, but it is clear - *at the time of install* - where the game will be installed.

This is the key difference. The way the Hub currently works is unintuitive and opaque. A user installing doesn't ever see the option of where to install or by default even know where it will end up. This is further shown by how many people thought the feature didn't exist even after it was added.

The other problem with the current method is if you want installs in two or more locations you have to always swap the install location back and forth. And of course you have to remember to do it before you install. That's another thing Steam can do - move an install to a difference library location.

6. MikeBastien

MikeBastien

Agreed with the other posters...

I just installed Hub for the first time, after avoiding it until now.

It was set to a different drive and worked fine.

I then installed a new editor version expecting it to go there, but it didn't... it went to my nearly full c:\ drive

So now after reading through here I suppose I'll have to uninstall / download / reinstall a big amount of data again; which affects your server bandwidth as well. Luckily I didn't install multiple versions before finding out the hard way.

This shouldn't be a 'feature request', rather a tweak to the existing item.

Best Practice: Ask the user at least on the first run, with the current option to change it after.

Thanks!

P.S. Other than that it looks good so far!

7. Baste

Baste

Gonna second every one else here - you should really prompt users the first time they intall something, and have an option to prompt every time.

Options are good. Your users have different needs.

8. andyz

andyz

The hub 2.1.2 has "Unity Editors Folder" which you can set - you can not return it to default (why no set to default?). But also I agree when you go to install it should say the full path ("folder path\unitynamedfolder").
    Also what if you move an install or want to? Is this do-able without the hub complaining?

9. brandnamewater

brandnamewater

I tried the following twice to DL my hub to my D drive

Download .exe file into D drive
    Install and set install to D drive
    Installs in C drive
    Shows Unity Hub is in C drive

Uninstall, repeat, to ensure i didn't make a mistake... same issue.

Now although the hub is in the C drive, I AM able to install versions in the D drive. But I want EVERYTHING in the D drive. Anyone with computers pre 2019 with SSD's will have these issues as most pre 2019 SSD's are tiny and cannot handle too much data.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019 at 11:34 AM
  10. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

Never had this problem. Your D drive is a drive, not a partition on a drive by chance?

11. brandnamewater

brandnamewater

I do have a D drive partition but nothing is in it, just double checked. I have a D drive HDD and a C drive SSD

12. APSchmidt

APSchmidt

I'm not sure I understand, you have two D partitions, one being a drive that is not partitioned, the other being a partition on another drive?

13. brandnamewater

brandnamewater

Actually you're right. Sorry, not too familiar with the inner workings here

The main D drive is the primary partition and the C drive is the "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition"