Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

How to change the install path?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by demonixis, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ishwara_bhat

ishwara_bhat

@AbrahamDUnity I confirm that i am able to install on d drive. After installing Unity Hub. I change the preferences. I set "The secondary location path". to d:\. Then installed Unity 2019.1.
    It installed on d drive.
    Only suggestion : 'secondary location path' gives the impression that it is 'the second preference'. It is actually the 'primary path.' Changing this text to simply "installation root path' or 'new installation folder' etc. would make it clearer.

2. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @ishwara_bhat,

Thank you for posting. The reason it's called secondary install path is because we didn't want to move a user's Unity installs if they had already installed to the default path. I agree it could come off as awkward without context. We'll see how we can make this clearer with the team.

Cheers,

3. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Well frankly the way it should have been done, the way nearly every other similar "hub" application works, the way that is easiest and most obvious to an end user, is simply ask where you want to install each time you install a copy of the editor. When the user selects to install an Editor version, ask where to install it.

Somla likes this.
  4. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Actually the Hub is more of an install manager like Steam or the Jetbrains Toolbox. In such tool you can specify the install path but it's mostly handled for you.

5. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

In Steam when you install a game it asks you which library location you want to install it to. Sure you have to set those library locations up ahead of time, but it is clear - *at the time of install* - where the game will be installed.

This is the key difference. The way the Hub currently works is unintuitive and opaque. A user installing doesn't ever see the option of where to install or by default even know where it will end up. This is further shown by how many people thought the feature didn't exist even after it was added.

The other problem with the current method is if you want installs in two or more locations you have to always swap the install location back and forth. And of course you have to remember to do it before you install. That's another thing Steam can do - move an install to a difference library location.

Somla likes this.
  6. MikeBastien

MikeBastien

Agreed with the other posters...

I just installed Hub for the first time, after avoiding it until now.

It was set to a different drive and worked fine.

I then installed a new editor version expecting it to go there, but it didn't... it went to my nearly full c:\ drive

So now after reading through here I suppose I'll have to uninstall / download / reinstall a big amount of data again; which affects your server bandwidth as well. Luckily I didn't install multiple versions before finding out the hard way.

This shouldn't be a 'feature request', rather a tweak to the existing item.

Best Practice: Ask the user at least on the first run, with the current option to change it after.

Thanks!

P.S. Other than that it looks good so far!

Somla likes this.
  7. Baste

Baste

Gonna second every one else here - you should really prompt users the first time they intall something, and have an option to prompt every time.

Options are good. Your users have different needs.

8. andyz

andyz

The hub 2.1.2 has "Unity Editors Folder" which you can set - you can not return it to default (why no set to default?). But also I agree when you go to install it should say the full path ("folder path\unitynamedfolder").
    Also what if you move an install or want to? Is this do-able without the hub complaining?

9. brandnamewater

brandnamewater

I tried the following twice to DL my hub to my D drive

Download .exe file into D drive
    Install and set install to D drive
    Installs in C drive
    Shows Unity Hub is in C drive

Uninstall, repeat, to ensure i didn't make a mistake... same issue.

Now although the hub is in the C drive, I AM able to install versions in the D drive. But I want EVERYTHING in the D drive. Anyone with computers pre 2019 with SSD's will have these issues as most pre 2019 SSD's are tiny and cannot handle too much data.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Never had this problem. Your D drive is a drive, not a partition on a drive by chance?

11. brandnamewater

brandnamewater

I do have a D drive partition but nothing is in it, just double checked. I have a D drive HDD and a C drive SSD

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

I'm not sure I understand, you have two D partitions, one being a drive that is not partitioned, the other being a partition on another drive?

13. brandnamewater

brandnamewater

Actually you're right. Sorry, not too familiar with the inner workings here

The main D drive is the primary partition and the C drive is the "Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition"

14. cscholton

cscholton

I'm not a happy camper. I had installed the Unity Hub on my D: drive, believing that is where all my Unity Editor Installs and the likes would be going. After having worked on one project, I decided to install additional versions for an upcoming project. Then I noticed the messages about Space Available and I have massive amounts of space on my D: drive. It would have been nice if there was a confirmation install to path [C:/….whatever] with the option to edit the path during install. I now have to go back and uninstall 4 versions, and deal with uninstalling and reinstalling the 5th version which I used for the last project. A lot of people tend to keep drive C: where the OS resides pretty separated from where massive amounts of actual work files/projects or several different versions of various software resides.

I just discovered the preferences inside Unity Hub for targeting Unity Editor Installs. Not Happy, Not Happy. I assumed that Unity Hub being target installed to drive D would mean all things Unity would go to that drive. Also, most software when you install it, does a double check prompt to the end users about the path it's being installed to. I'm rather disappointed in the way Unity Hub handles this. It should ask people in the setup of Unity Hub what is the desired default path they wish to install Unity Editors in (this would make it clear to everybody where what is being installed will go to). This is rather painful process I'm having to go through right now.

Nikovich and MemoSparkfield like this.
  15. MemoSparkfield

MemoSparkfield

Somehow for me it works. Just make sure the path you set in Preferences -> General is saved, and pay attention as you will not be able to have Unity editors folder nested within the Unity Hub folder on D: drive.

16. juangp015

juangp015

why not?

17. pavaxrega

pavaxrega

18. Joaquingdc_15

Joaquingdc_15

Hey! is the feature yet eneabled?

19. Mugenni

Mugenni

Unity Hub - is a piece of junk! I cannot select a suitable disk to install unity. I can change `unity editors path` in the general setting of the Unity Hub, but it does nothing! While installing it just says that not enough space on a disk.
    Ok. Let us install Unity without Hub. Good, installed where I need it. Now, let us sign in in the Unity to be able to use `Collaborate` - you need to install Unity Hub! Reinstalling Hub Crap. This time using `locate` button to connect with already installed Unity. Hub says that installation failed. WAT?? It is already installed and working, what is wrong with you? Now I cannot open any project because of the Hub.
    Ok. Uninstall everything. Begin from Unity Hub. Install and open. Looks like removed version of unity, that I connected to Unity via `Locate` button still present and still failed to install, but it is REMOVED and I cannot even remove it from a unity hub, it just hangs there and throwing an error when I am trying to remove this version from Hub. Spent several hours doing thins S***.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020
    roohio likes this.
  20. ChrisRob

ChrisRob

Hi all,
    I had the same problem and needed to move the assets as I didn't want to bloat my SSD with gigs of assets. As it is already I have my projects on another drive better suited to mass storage.
    If you are wondering how to manually work around this without having to reinstall, I'll detail in brief the steps I followed from here (https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/16226/complete-guide-to-symbolic-links-symlinks-on-windows-or-linux/)

1) Close Unity
    2) Navigate to where the assets are stored, by default: C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x
    3) Navigate to where you want the assets to be stored (e.g. I:\Unity\Assets)
    4) Move the files
    5) Delete the (now empty) directory in point 2 above
    6) Launch CMD with admin rights, type your equivalent file locations: mklink /J "C:\Users\[USER]\AppData\Roaming\Unity\Asset Store-5.x" "I:\Unity\Assets"
    You'll see it says junction created
    7) Restart Unity
    8) Refresh the Package Manager
    9) ???
    10) Profit.

21. theruslanrudenko1992

theruslanrudenko1992

22. Ironik_vee

Ironik_vee

I can't believe how this is still a problem with unity. it's really frustrating knowing I can't install anything on my laptop unless I buy a new one or restart the whole system again, even that won't fix the problem with space issue though. I would also really like a feature where you can manually change the location. there is an option in unity to change it but the files still insist on downloading to a folder where I don't want it to download. My sd card has 109 GB so it is supposed to be plenty of space. Screenshot (3).png Screenshot (4).png

p.s if you can make it work you can download unity editors here with the full locations settings https://unity3d.com/unity/qa/lts-releases
    I just haven't gotten it to work yet but it could help if someone needs it.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
  23. CargoRunner

CargoRunner

I have the same problem as everyone else here. My PC has a small partition with only the windows operating system on it. Then additional partitions and drives for applications and data. The unity hub has been installed on the application drive. It's a modern quite powerful PC and yet Unity is unable to install on it. As a first impression of this game engine it could not be any worse. And 3 years and you are still unable to fix a simple issue like this? Why is Unity not installed to the same directory as the Unity Hub? This gives me very little confidence in your product. And I am simply unable to try your engine unless I buy a new PC and specifically check the hard drive is not partitioned?

24. masterbajt

masterbajt

same problem like Ironik_vee...

Please fix it, it's saying i don't have enouh space..probably installation path and download path are two different terms, i'm not sure where Unity editor is downloading if home folder or temp folder, but when i select in preferences different partition then still saying not enouh space, please fix it, waiting long months for install Unity...that's really bad

i have Linux system partition 50 GB and free empty partition about 450 GB what can't use...we are in 2021, such basic thing...i can't believe

Last edited: Mar 9, 2021
  25. BenjiM_Unity

BenjiM_Unity

Administrator

Thank you for the feedback everyone. The team has shared that this will be addressed in a future version.

26. thejimbarnes

thejimbarnes

This was 2018 it's now 2021 and still no way to change where the store downloads installation files to.

27. thejimbarnes

thejimbarnes

Hi

It seems it has taken 3 years for the Hub dev team to do nothing. Best suggestion would be to create a symbolic link from appdata unity location to a folder on a larger drive. Search online there are some good explanations how to do it. Basically the location on the C drive is empty and everything gets stored on the larger drive but the program sees no difference.

28. davidsamacoits

davidsamacoits

Unity Technologies

Exciting news today as Hub V3.0-beta.1 just got out providing, among other improvements and new features, a way to control where you download and install your editors hopefully helping with your problem. Check out this forum thread to know more.

Attached Files:

White_Mouse, TaroBall and UnityJuju like this.
  29. Kraschkaboom

Kraschkaboom

And in 2021 you still can't choose where to install...

30. betakarotene

betakarotene

yes,but this don't work for the Asset Store-5.x folder....

31. lacas8282

lacas8282

any news on this?:D

32. unitynoob24

unitynoob24

it's working fine for me in Unity Hub 2.4.5 just go to Preferences and change the install path

33. UnityJuju

UnityJuju

Unity Technologies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.