Search Unity

How to change the install path?

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by demonixis, Jan 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. demonixis

demonixis

Hello,

The hub looks good, it's very welcome. However it seems to be not possible to select the install path. Can I do that in a config file? (maybe it's not yet exposed).

Regards,

Deleted User, ErikOF, Kbando1 and 9 others like this.
  2. JDMulti

JDMulti

Would like to see this feature as well, being able to manually change the installation path.

Deleted User, ErikOF and Shaelle like this.
  3. drolander

drolander

I agree. I install Unity on my D drive but the hub installs to the C drive without an option to change the install path.

4. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

Thanks for your suggestions. We will try to add this to our upcoming versions of the Hub.

5. demonixis

demonixis

Thank you guys! We use a small SSD for the system (c:) and a large HDD for the data. All unity versions and all projects are located on this drive. I think that a lot of users are doing the same thing, it's better to keep projects on a separate drive.

So yes, this option is crucial.

6. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

I agree. This is something essential to me. Also, I would like to have the option to keep the downloads for future installs. I live in an area without the option of a fast internet connection. I get 2mbps at the most. For this reason, I keep the installers on hand in case I need to reinstall or install on my laptop. Being able to specify a download location and have an option to select to archive the download for future use would be awesome.

If you guys could add that while adding the option to specify install paths, it would be a huge help. I'm currently working in a configuration where my Unity archives are on my D drive and all of my Unity installations are on my E drive. My C is pretty much reserved for OS stuff.

So path configurations and installer archiving options for the win! heheh

Maldek, jbpelletier and Harinezumi like this.
  7. BestHTTP

BestHTTP

+1 vote from me for a selectable install path.

8. ScaniX

ScaniX

+1 from me as well. Unfortunately it is unusable for me like this. Installing stuff on C is a no go.

9. BorisMongeau

BorisMongeau

Unity Technologies

We are working on this, it will be possible to have an alternative installation path.

Beusis, silvermanj7, perziili and 4 others like this.
  10. pafrica

pafrica

I agree.
    +1 vote from me for a selectable install path.

11. Dustin-Horne

Dustin-Horne

Another +1 here. It's my biggest pet peeve with the asset store cache stuff. I actually moved the folders to a different drive and setup a symlink so I wouldn't be loading up my primary SSD that I use for my OS. So yeah, +1 for at least being able to specify Unity install location.

QFSW likes this.
  12. doublegumbo

doublegumbo

13. EvansT

EvansT

Having the ability to set both the install path and the download path would be great to have.

14. NichUK

NichUK

And in the latest version, you can set the install path! After which Unity Hub installs Unity to the system drive, and writes a single file modules.json into a unity named sub-folder of the the folder that you specified... Oh, but still sets up the "correct link" to Unity.exe as being in the folder that you wanted it in, which of course doesn't work, as it's actually on the system drive.

:(

It's very broken right now.

15. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

You are clearly experiencing a bug. Are you on Windows or MacOS?
    Please send us your log so we can see what went wrong.
    Windows: %UserProfile%\AppData\Roaming\UnityHub\logs
    Mac: ~/Library/Application support/UnityHub/logs

16. TerraCo

TerraCo

Having the exact same issue as NickUK.

Logs attached

Attached Files:

colinfizgig likes this.
  17. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

Same problem on windows. My logs are basically the same. Say stuff about installing the modules file to the path but the main editor folder ends up on the C drive.

I didn't try it but I installed 2018 beta first, not realizing it would not ask me for the install folder. So i uninstalled it.
    Found the setting. Set the path. Then reinstalled 2018.
    I did not restart UnityHub.

Not sure if any of that might cause it to be in a partial state.

C0descr1pt and colinfizgig like this.
  18. colinfizgig

colinfizgig

Same problem with install folder change still installing on system drive. Included an image to show that is reporting installation on d: drive but it actually installs on c: drive.
    upload_2018-3-21_17-51-21.png

19. colinfizgig

colinfizgig

Trying to uninstall the installations on which Unity thinks are on d: drive fails for both programs.
    upload_2018-3-21_17-53-56.png

20. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi @colinfizgig ,
    Thanks for the information, we will be looking into it.
    From the D drive path, does the path exist? as in 'D:\Program Files\2018.1.0b11"
    A work around for you at the moment would be moving the Editor folder in the version folder "2018.1.0b11\Editor" to your installation path "D:\Program Files\2018.1.0b11".

Thanks,

Joe

Last edited: Mar 22, 2018
  21. daxiongmao

daxiongmao

In my case it places a manifest file there only. If I then move the install from the c drive to the created d drive folder it seems ok when opening or creating projects.

22. grogzgr

grogzgr

I ran into the same issue when I attempted to install Unity 2017.4, that it installed to my C: drive even though I had directed it to install to the D: drive.
    The temporary fix in Windows 10 that worked for me was:
    I had to make sure to move the manifest JSON file that was in D:\Program Files\Unity\2017.4 out of the way first, and remove the D:\Program Files\Unity\2017.4 directory
    Then I used
    mklink -J "C:\Program Files\Unity\2017.4" "D:\Program Files\Unity\2017.4"

After the hardlink was created I moved the manifest JSON file back into D:\Program Files\Unity\2017.4
    and TADA, it works

23. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,

With some investigation, we are currently able to reproduce with folder of name "Program Files", other folder naming works. We will be working on a fix. For a temporal workaround, please rename the folder to an unique name.

Joe

Deozaan likes this.
  24. tenorgames

tenorgames

Here is a workaround using symlink to install Unity Hub into another location of your choice, and then Unity 2018 will be installed in the same drive as Unity Hub. Tried and tested. Works for me perfectly.

25. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

Any word on this? "It's going to happen!" <9 months later> :P

26. joeksy

joeksy

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    The "Program Files" issue been fix since version 0.16.0 (17/04/2018) according to our change log and release note.
    Sorry for the missing communication on this post.
    Joe

27. dshewmaker

dshewmaker

Still doesn't have this option... wild.

timlg likes this.
  28. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

Try harder, it can't take close to year to do such a trivial addition.

29. w0rminator

w0rminator

^Nothing new here?
    Unfortunate

timlg likes this.
  30. MrLucid72

MrLucid72

While you're there adding that, please fix the white screen timeouts:

karthick04saran likes this.
  31. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

The feature is there just not obvious so it is easy to miss. You would think that when you installed a new version it would ask where to install it. Logical, and common. No, doesn't work that way. Instead, BEFORE doing an install you need to click on the Cog icon in the upper right. This lets you set a default Unity location. Then any install made after you set that will use that base location. Note that it will create a sub folder for the Unity version in that location, but the sub folder will only have a version number, it will not say Unity in it like the older methods. So you will probably want to set your base location to something that says "Unity" so you don't get confused.

EG installing Unity 2018.3b7 with base path set to D:\Program Files, created a folder named D:\Program Files\2018.3.0b7

If you want to install different versions into completely different base locations, then you need to remember to set this each time.

It really is IMHO a silly and awkward way of working and is so against "normal conventions" that it is going to confuse a lot of users who won't even know the feature exists.

Somla, laviarzi, ScottAdams and 6 others like this.
  32. GimpMaster

GimpMaster

Thank you jwvanderbeck. I was able to find this setting with your help. Just freed up 9 gigs on my small SSD.

33. Randroid88

Randroid88

Thanks! This answer should be at the top of this thread.

Somla, spooneystone and ScottAdams like this.
  34. SIV

SIV

My turnaround was letting it download to default C then cut/paste the new version's folder to the desired location, then go back to unity hub and "uninstall" the existent version, and since its not there anymore the "uninstall" will take a couple of seconds and the path will be removed then you can add another version and locate it to where you pasted it.

35. davidnibi

davidnibi

2019.1.0f2 - Still no option to install to other drives.

36. charlesb_rm

charlesb_rm

davidnibi : check the little gear icon next to My account at the top right corner to select where to install your editor.

37. TimTimSch

TimTimSch

Still does not work:

And when installing:

Edit:
    Well, it does kinda work... It downloads to the C drive and then installs to the D drive.
    It should be better if it will download in the D drive and installed in the D drive.
    Because when your other drive is almost full it cannot install because the drive you don't want it to install is almost full. Should be something that can be fixed Unity ^^

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  38. Mullan7

Mullan7

It would be cool if we could have multiple install paths. I don't have enough room on my ssd for the legacy editors I need

39. vaxhax

vaxhax

Thank you, this is not only easy to miss but poorly labeled as I already looked in there and it didn't make sense that I'd need to set that *before* doing my first install.

Unfortunately as TimTimSch notes above, it still downloads to the system drive first. I had to clear space on my tiny system SSD just to install this. Come on Unity devs, this is way less complicated than just about anything Unity itself does.

40. vaxhax

vaxhax

Be aware that even though I pre-set the Unity Editor path to my D drive, I installed MS VisualStudio CE via the Unity Hub install package selector, and that got installed on *C.* Not super cool, at least it was (relatively) small.

I can confirm that large installation the files downloaded to my system drive (the aforementioned C, which is annoying!) were removed as several gigs freed back up once that process was complete.

41. It downloads in the temp folder. If you can, move it onto another drive. If you have that small space on your current drive, sooner or later you will have problems with other software too. A lot of software writes in the temp folders during work.

42. vaxhax

vaxhax

I've got 42gb free on C, I just don't want anything touching C when I explicitly tell it to touch D. Period.

Sven_Hartke and Lemoniscate like this.
  43. unity_PnGN0zqvlI5qdg

unity_PnGN0zqvlI5qdg

i cannot install because my C drive (SSD) is full and 7 GB left.

why didnt fix this little issue in 2019?

Really poor,

Aashishsinng likes this.
  44. Legit7349

Legit7349

I want the editor to download into my C, but no, it can't do that.

45. Nefarit

Nefarit

Hi, my advice is:
    1) uinstall all version unity from unity hub
    2) download pure Unity install file
    3) install unity to the location what you want
    4) in unityHub "LOCATE" that instalation

46. Lemoniscate

Lemoniscate

cannot believe this is still a problem, i do not have much space on my C:/ drive and therefore i cannot add a version to any other drives on my computer, like whats the point in letting me enter an alternative path if i have to be able to install it on my C anyway, that's missing the entire point, if i could install on my C i wouldn't care about putting it on other drives. smh unity if we need to use your hub then at least let it work

47. ndrcreates

ndrcreates

you want to launch a rocket into space??? it's just a little problem, why after two years there is no update or solution for this .... ?

48. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi,

To all the recent posts, this issue was fixed almost a year and a half ago. To change the install location, just go to the preferences page and set another install path. Thank you for your contribution to the forum and don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

Best,

49. Tristan73

Tristan73

Uhm... 'Adds secondary install location' doesn't fix the problem of being able to select the download location of the Unity version, it still is being downloaded to the C:\ drive.

Ratboy601 and Acots96 like this.
  50. AbrahamDUnity

AbrahamDUnity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Tristan73,

This thread was started in January 2018 to ask about setting a different install path. This problem was effectively resolved. If you would like to suggest that we allow users to set a custom location to temporarily download files in we can consider that feature. Just create a new "Feature Request" thread. The current work-around like mentioned a little higher is to set a custom location for your temporary OS files. That should help save your main drive's space considerably! Thank you for contributing to the forums and don't hesitate to let us know if anything else comes up.

Cheers,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.