Search Unity

How to change font size in unity editor?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rockysam888, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Do you have a retina MBP? Then it is the case, or you're using an old version of Unity before they added retina support. Nothing about font sizes changed, in case you're still confused by that (and having the same font size was indeed the whole point). See my post above for an illustration.

--Eric

2. orb

orb

That's what we are asking for - a way to make the fonts larger. They're ridiculously small to a lot of us. Even if it's working as intended, the intended way is unpleasantly tiny to many. So a huge wish list item is larger fonts in the Unity editor.

3. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Also what people were asking for was to use hdpi displays without everything becoming microscopic, so at least that was done.

--Eric

4. Peter77

Peter77

QA Jesus

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

6. Supergeek

Supergeek

Editor scripts have to be in an Editor directory. Then it should show up in the top program menu under a new heading, Font.

I've been trying to find good fonts to use with this. Most of them are still too small.

7. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Fonts don't really have any inherent size. Various design elements can make letters appear slightly larger or smaller compared to other fonts, but generally font and size are quite different things. I doubt there's any font that would be significantly more legible at the sizes used by Unity than the default font. In order to make any real difference there needs to be the ability to change size, not font.

--Eric

8. mowax74

mowax74

Any news on this? I got a 4k 32" display on Windows 7 (switching the next days to 10), and now the Unity Editor is not usable anymore.
    I'm also not willing to discuss, if in 2018 a 4k resolution is overkill. As everyone knows who using kind of these displays, the higher resolution feels so much better - on everything - but unity.
    But also in Unity it would have been more than useful: How can it be overkill, having the scene and game view side by side in a reasonable resolution each? If only the editor font could be scaled!

I'm not saying this is a small thing to fix. But the problem now persists since so many years! And meanwhile it is not acceptable anymore that it is still not done and obviously has not the priority to fix that it needs to have! What should i do now? Change my screen resolution when i switch to unity, and change it back when i switch back to maya, photoshop or visual studio? They all have a scalable UI. It's like a joke.

9. Supergeek

Supergeek

Force Antiliasing OFF for Unity in Nvidia or AMD display settings. That may help with font rendering issues on larger displays. It really helped for mine. I went from the rendering on the left to the one on the right.

Attached Files:

Lev095 and akerholten like this.
  10. mowax74

mowax74

Ok, i calmed down. After i restarted my system everything looks ok now. The fonts are normal sized now in unity. They are unsharp, but that is not a big problem. Not that big, like fonts half of that size, like it was yesterday, even with 150% windows ui scaling.
    The UI scaling didn't update in unity, even not after i restated unity. After rebooting its ok now.

11. NeatWolf

NeatWolf

+1 on this featuring at least scaling of the Project/Hierarchy Tabs fonts.

I'm using 3rd party solution to visualize them, but even if there's row-size and indent scaling, there still has no text size scaling; which I believe it's an API limitation.

I, as many, spend a lot of time in front of the Unity Editor, and I recently discovered that, well, scaling up just a bit the font size in most editors, visual studio included, puts less strain on the eyes. I could also work without glasses, my sight is only slightly (<=0.75) reduced, but I still believe this is an accessibility problem.

Hierarchy Pro and Project Bookmarks already expand the line height and indentation. Could you please also expose the necessary APIs for scaling fonts?

Supergeek likes this.
  12. mikeb_celtx

mikeb_celtx

Chipping in to ask for this feature as well. My eyesight has never been good, but I'm 40 now, and scaling UI text is no longer an optional feature for me.

13. Death2Gnomes

Death2Gnomes

So its been 4 years now. I refuse to pay for pro until this is fix/added/changed.

14. tmcthee

tmcthee

Hey all,

It's not perfect, but Windows does have a native feature to help with this problem.
    1. Right click on your desktop and select "Display settings"
    2. Under "Scale and layout", change the scaling factor to suit your needs.
    3. Right click on the Unity app icon and select "properties".
    4. Select the "Compatibility" tab.
    5. Find the setting "Override high DPI scaling behaviour"
    6. By default this is checked and set to "Application".
    7. Either uncheck this or set it to "system" or "system enhanced"
    8. Unitys fonts should now scale up to match the "Scale and Layout" factor.

unityFontfix.png

eelledge, MGGDev and fearlesshyena like this.
  15. awmcclain

awmcclain

I'll throw in here as well -- c'mon. It's absurd. It's a Hard Problem, but you're an enterprise software company. Spend the resources, rework your GUI code, allow dynamic sizing.

polyphonic13 and aizomme like this.
  16. joaobsneto

joaobsneto

They did that, I hope they fixed the font size issue:

17. CloudyC

CloudyC

:confused::mad::eek: Still wating

legacy code monster, or unpaid, uncommentated and undocumented intern work or bachelor thesis candidate work :rolleyes: yeah, you gonna buy twice if you buy cheap

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  18. fearlesshyena

fearlesshyena

Thanks a lot!!! This definitely helps

19. myers831

myers831

Although its not possible in Unity, what i did was change my windows display setting and set "Change the size of text , apps, and other items" to 150%

20. marcelo_augusto

marcelo_augusto

The original post dates 4 years back at least. What has changed in this matter?

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Several things have changed - they have added support for high density displays, and they honor the UI scaling in windows.
    As for actual "modify the font on the fly" like Blender (the best option in my opinion), they are working on a new UI with alternate fonts, which you can already preview in the Beta section - but it doesn't yet have font scaling. It is however something they are currently actively working on.

More info here:

https://forum.unity.com/threads/new-editor-theme.564484

ecv80, MGGDev and marcelo_augusto like this.
  22. komali2

komali2

I'm on a Thinkpad x1 Carbon running Ubuntu 18.04. The resolution is very high, which makes this a HiDPI screen.

The font size is comically small in only one program on this machine, Unity Editor.

I see that the engineers are aware that this needs fixing. That's good, because early in the thread were silly things about "breaking the UI by changing the font size," something that all other applications in the world have already "solved" by allowing users to shoot themselves in the foot by blowing up font size if they should so choose (and adding scrollbars where necessary to allow content to scroll to see it all).

I'm an engineer too, and I was taught that ensuring UI elements were readable was important to do because some of my users will have poor eyesight, and I should do what I can to make my applications accessible to these users. A font slider is an easy way to do that without "ruining" my UI for all the other users. I give props to the Unity Editor engineering team for recognizing that as well - I suspect management is not allowing them to prioritize this important, accessible, feature.

I'm looking forward to when Unity Editor will implement this common feature.

In the meantime, if others are in my shoes, hopefully the friendly people at AskUbuntu will help us find a way to config Unity Editor "behind the scenes" to increase the font size: https://askubuntu.com/questions/115...-a-specific-application-in-ubuntu-18-04-runni

Supergeek likes this.
  23. better_walk_away

better_walk_away

I really need to find a way to magnify the text of Unity Editor. I am typing Chinese in Editor, Chinese characters are generally very complex, the font size of Unity Editor is way too small, sometimes, it's very hard to see some of the Chinese characters.

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

If you are in windows, go to Display Settings, and change the dropdown that says "Change the size of text, apps and other items". 2019.3 alpha says it has custom UI scaling for the unity editor. But if you're wanting to use a production version of Unity, I think the display settings is your best option.

25. eelledge

eelledge

This is a BIG improvement. Thank you

tmcthee likes this.
  26. ImLife

ImLife

glad to se that this has been implemented in 2019... not

Reedex and NeatWolf like this.
  27. fibulator777

fibulator777

Had No effect on Unity editor, and instead completely screwed up the size of Unity Hub button placement/scales.
    (and Yes, I'm sure I changed the Unity.exe *not* Unity Hub.exe)

And Tiny black text on grey background will is excessively bad design decision. -_-

stgagnon likes this.
  28. Krellumdaed

Krellumdaed

Any news on adjustable font size?

I would love it if the console at a minimum could have its font size changed.

This is a feature that far too many tools overlook...

29. NotExistingUser

NotExistingUser

Okay, this must be a joke. If Unity honors Windows' font scaling settings, why on earth do you not have anything similar on Linux? I mean, this is literally a question of updating a ready-made font scale variable with the value of a system setting, or, in the absolute worst case, providing a freaking setting of your own.

30. AmazinJacks

AmazinJacks

Hi, end of 2019 here. Are we still adjusting the console window font size by making global changes at the OS level? My eyes aren't what they were when this was first raised in 2012.

indiezukunft likes this.
  31. Darjamfar

Darjamfar

I just upgraded to a 4K iMac and wow the difference on my 2010 iMac is astounding. Unfortunately I'm finding reading the text in Unity quite a challenge to my eyes and saw this thread spanning back some 7 years. This really needs fixing in the age of 4K displays.

Fear not, it is possible to scale your text up and down on a Mac.

Goto System Prefs
    Click Display
    Click Display Tab
    Locate "Resolution:", and Select radio button 'Scaled'
    Select a box to the left of Default (which is highlighted). These are the larger displays.

The screen will blank and tada you will get larger text. The display gets scaled and the text gets larger. The display/text is globally altered and not just Unity.

(I haven't read the all threads so I don't know if anyone has posted similar but I did see several say it wasn't possible on a Mac).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
  32. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Unity for Macs has had hi-dpi support for years. Say you have a 25" standard HD screen (1080p), and a 25" 4K screen: the physical text size in Unity is the same on both. It's just sharper on the 4K display. There's nothing to "fix", not regarding hi-dpi support anyway, since that was already done long ago. Arbitrary scaling of text in the UI is a separate matter and not related to 4K displays.

--Eric

33. Qmaks2

Qmaks2

Is it possible to increase font size in Unity Editor now ?
    I have ultra wide 2560x1080 and fonts in this resolution looks bad

34. In2Play

In2Play

This thread has been around for years and still nothing? :eek:

I need bigger font in Hierarchy sooo badly!

35. T4NK32

T4NK32

Now is the time to get it done. Start with the Hierarchy, Project and Console panes.
    - No "special" ui-elements there at all (and really no a lot in the Inspector either...)

It's ruining peoples eyes and turning what should be fun and games into drudgery.

neo-mashiro and stgagnon like this.
  36. nukadelic

nukadelic

I'm using Hi DPI scaling for windows 10

But Its possible to change the font size if you modify the `EditorStyles` - here i made a quick utility window to test huge font sizes, looks quite messy.

upload_2020-4-2_0-58-17.png

Here is some quick and messy code if anyone is interested :
    https://gist.github.com/nukadelic/47474c7e5d4ee5909462e3b900f4cb82

( copy paste the script file into your project -> go to Window > Editor Font Size , should be next to asset store button )

Here some of the maximum values you can set before the text becomes way too big for the container :

[ ControlLabel ] - max = 14
    [ textfield ] -- default = 11 , max_value = 16
    [ toolbarbutton ]-- default = 9 , max_value = 16
    [ toolbarpopup ]-- default = 9 , max_value = 16
    [ toolbardropdown ]-- default = 9 , max_value = 16
    [ ObjectField ] -- max = 13

Edit : added global zoom buttons :

Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    Lorrak, akerholten, stgagnon and 2 others like this.
  37. Zorkind

Zorkind

Anything new on this matter? i appreciate some custom made code for it, but i really want it coming from Unity themselves :-\ it only makes sense.

38. vanikad

vanikad

This is ridiculous, it's been 8 damn years since this thread was started, 8!!!! This is a basic thing, any respectable IDE/Tool has this option! I'm on Ubuntu, I changed font from the system, not a single bit changed in Unity.

vanpro, chiefbean111 and dulcegao like this.
  39. kirbygc00

kirbygc00

2019.4 seems to have support for this:

upload_2020-7-23_17-22-48.png

unity_s3ReI6vG7pp3hQ and Jaimi like this.
  40. DTAli

DTAli

Except it breaks object auto selection/navigation/scrolling in the Project window... i.e. If you click on a texture/material/asset assigned to a field in the inspector, it usually finds it and navigates to it in the Project window, but when changing scale, it doesn't scroll to it correctly... Really frustrating.

Does any one know a fix for this?

Supergeek likes this.
  41. Krellumdaed

Krellumdaed

Interestingly it does not seem to exist in 2020.1.0f1:
    upload_2020-9-20_14-52-39.png

I have been experimenting with Mac's accessibility zoom feature. I have it so it sort of works but it is pretty buggy.

42. VABritto

VABritto

Is this fixed yet? It's the end of 2020, I'm on Linux Mint Mate (20.4) and the UI is very very small even on my 1080p computer...

43. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's fixed in 2019.4

44. psychentist

psychentist

Sigh.
    I guess I'm necroing this thread. Again.
    Nine years now, guys. Nine. Years.
    "We're working on it" just doesn't cut it anymore. You basically forced this last update on me and now I can't see a damn thing.

45. Jaimi

Jaimi

Does "Preferences/UI Scaling" not work for you?

46. psychentist

psychentist

It did in the 2019 version, but it's gone now.

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

What version are you on? It works for me in 2021.3.f1

48. Alakelele

Alakelele

Any updates on that ?

49. Alakelele

Alakelele

Well it works for me now, go to edit-preferences-UI scaling

50. lalamax3d

lalamax3d

in linux (ubuntu) preference >> UI scaling(search) no results, no left ui scaling option... any ideas