Search Unity

How to change font size in unity editor?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by rockysam888, Aug 31, 2012.

1. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Yeah. That is a problem with Unity editor.

2. supadupa64

supadupa64

Has this been solved yet? I just got a new monitor and the font size in the editor is super small now.

I would like Unity to provide me with bifocals so I can finish building my game.

3. jf3000

jf3000

No and I wouldn't expect them to touch something so minor regardless of how many people complain, easier to just change your settings from the desktop to increase font size.

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Unity 5.4 has a working hdpi mode on OS X when using a scaled hdpi screen mode, so things on a 4K monitor, say, will appear the same size as on a 1920x1080 monitor, but with 4X as much detail. Since the code is working (even if not all the assets have hdpi versions yet obviously), I would assume it will happen on Windows as well, when whatever technical issues exist are addressed. I would not expect arbitrary scaling of fonts any time soon, if ever, since that's just not what the Unity UI was designed for.

inspector1.png

inspector2.png

--Eric

GarthSmith likes this.
  5. skMobileDev

skMobileDev

Non-responsive design in 2016 is not acceptable. It is not hard to do. And then especially in such a high end product targeting a market with such a wide variety of resolutions and platforms. It's a total deal breaker for me. The UI looks very bad and is so small as to be unusable. Baffled at how bad this is...

Jaimi and supadupa64 like this.
  6. jackhearts

jackhearts

My eyes thank unity for this small yet significant addition. So much better to look at now

7. Jaimi

Jaimi

And if you're not using a 4k monitor, at 2560x1440, the font is still too small and doesn't scale up in OSX. Apparantly not "hidpi" enough. Scalable fonts were needed ages ago.

8. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

I could never understand why anyone, unless they were into photography, graphic arts, or image editing, would want a 2560x1440 or higher resolution monitor. I think it is overkill and just requires more horsepower to drive what most people can't even see. I could have gotten a 4K but chose a 27" 1440p monitor with a v-sync instead. I can't even see the separate rasters. And I had a suspicion that the UI of some apps would be too small to easily see on a 4K. In fact I was about to but an iMac but it having only Retina made me not want one. 4K is like a 1000hp car that is useless for most kinds of driving. But then, maybe my 67-year-old eyes are not good enough.

9. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's the only resolution my iMac came in when I purchased it.

TokyoDan likes this.
  10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can force HiDPI modes for non-HiDPI displays, but at 2560x1440 you'd end up with an effective resolution of 1280x720, which is not great for Unity. But at least it would solve the "too small font" problem for sure. ;)

Yes, I'm afraid that's due to, well, less-than-optimal vision; it's definitely something most people can see, and appreciate. (Unless you're sitting across the room from the monitor I suppose.) The horsepower required to drive a 4K monitor is not a big deal for most tasks. Where it would potentially kill you is 3D gaming, but in that case you'd typically just use standard HD resolution and let it be upscaled (unless you have a high-end GPU).

That's not actually the way it works. With a 4K retina display under normal operation, the display is "really" 1920x1080 as far as apps are concerned, in terms of size. Apps that support HiDPI are simply more detailed. If they don't support HiDPI, they're not tiny, they're just blocky, since every pixel is being blown up to 4 pixels. See the comparison screenshots I posted above.

--Eric

TokyoDan likes this.
  11. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Yeah. Then you had no choice in the matter. I guess most people don't these days and I would be very upset at Unity for this unreadable font problem.

I was about to buy a 27" iMac when it still had 1440p with a 2GB GPU and then Apple updated it to Retina without upgrading the GPU. That pissed me off and killed my loyalty to Apple. When they finally upgraded the GPU I had decided to get a PC. Also I wanted to use MS Visual Studio instead of MonoDevelop so I had to get a Windows PC.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
  12. AMaXOnLine

AMaXOnLine

Pleeeeease !

13. smores

smores

Come'on guys. You been promising this for years. This is an occupational health issue for developers and not just a like-to-have. Lost productivity from eyestrain is a very real thing and your lack of this basic application feature very much costing your customers money in developer downtime.

This feature is available in the editor of all of your competitors. Tell me again why we should use Unity over something like Unreal when the most basic of features is missing? You're not an little indy shop anymore where it's caveat emptor. People pay good money to use your product.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  14. caboosetp

caboosetp

My vision is terrible, I'm only using 1680x1050, and I still struggle to read stuff. Windows 7 doesn't scale unity with everything else. I normally blow things up to 150%.

The struggle is real and after seeing how old this thread is, I really wish you guys would bump it up in the priority queue.

Thanks for reading my woes.

15. Jaimi

Jaimi

Unity scales on Win 10 - it appears to be a bit of a hack - rendering it at a lower resolution and scaling up, but it works. A font change would be significantly better.

16. DanRaine

DanRaine

Any update on this, I am using a 5k iMac and the editor is useless without dropping resolution. I have been a pro user since day 1 but I think it is time to say goodbye.

17. joaobsneto

joaobsneto

I don't want to be a hater, but I don't understand why Unity spends resources on VR version of the Editor while this fundamental features are not implemented...
    I'm working on a PropertyDrawer extension for a custom class and I have to set the amount of pixels that will be in my property. I think the Editor UI is based on that and that's why it's hard to fix the problem.

18. GarthSmith

GarthSmith

Is there a way to enable HiDPI modes on Windows yet? I just got a 4K monitor and my options seem to be
    • Tiny text at native 4K
    • Blurry text (and everything else) upscaled at 150%
    • Blocky text running at 1080p
    The entire point of the 4K monitor was to make text easier to read but I think I may end up back at 1080p. I understand that resizing text isn't easy to do in the editor, but I would just like to uprez the text to 4x what it was at 1080p so it's crisp on 4K at least.

Thanks everyone!

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  19. AndreyPerelygin

AndreyPerelygin

Dear developers, please don`t forget about Linux version when solving a problem with a font size.
    I have laptop with UHD display and using unity-editor is crazy...

kmare likes this.
  20. Mortis-Mortavius

Mortis-Mortavius

So like... the "working on it for years with no results yet" type of working on it, gotcha.

21. graspee

graspee

I can't believe they really aren't going to fix this. People have been asking for a way to bump up the font size FOR SIX YEARS. And they have said it's on the roadmap for YEARS.

22. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

We are going to fix it, but it requires a complete overhaul of the entire UI system in the Editor - which we're working on.

NeatWolf, karl_jones, DGordon and 2 others like this.
  23. Bizquit110

Bizquit110

Hi guys! Today I've also encountered with this problem and found a decision about it. Actually, it's working only for Windows, but maybe it'll help you. As I understood, problem of scaling in Editor is not because of Unity, but because of the OS. I just click
    Unity Lable -> Properties -> Compatibility
    and turn on "Disable Display Scalling on Hight DPI Settings". Now everything works fine!

24. allenrobot

allenrobot

Windows 7 has that option greyed out for me. Not sure how to enable it.

25. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

That makes no difference on my Windows 10 machine.

26. yurrr

yurrr

this totally sucks. Android Studio, Visual Studio, Eclipse etc all allow font size change. so this is lame. Now i have to use magnifying lense to read your microscopic menus. it is 2017 for God's sake! get on with the time. charging $1500 for your IDE without having basic user features!

allenrobot likes this.
  27. allenrobot

allenrobot

I had to use the handicapped windows user features the other day too. Ewwwwww let us change the font size weirdos. wtf?

28. DissociatedGames

DissociatedGames

Still no fix for this? Used Unity 5.2 for a past project and could read everything fine. Thought about doing another project with it today and updated and now it is 100% not usable and causes serious eye strain and headaches if I try. Im only running 1080p on window 10 as well.

I guess I may have to find a better solution for this project until this issue is fixed, if ever.

29. hashashin

hashashin

2017.1 beta, linux, no HiDPI support yet. And for, what, six or seven years.
    Probably Unity could share the interface code. With the amount of users complaining, I imagine that would have a quick workaround. Well, faster than six years, for sure.

(and just for reference, it is NOT in the roadmap)

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  30. FlightOfOne

FlightOfOne

Any progress on this? With more and more 4K monitors coming out these days, I am sure more people will have problems with this.

Perhaps someone found a workaround and willing to share?

31. hashashin

hashashin

For Windows it does not work perfectly, but is acceptable, adjusting the global zoom of Windows. But for Linux.. how I hate this :(

32. KABLAMM

KABLAMM

Yeah, honestly this is becoming a real problem! The new high-end laptops are all coming out in 4K and UHD only - no option for 1080p anymore. You guys really need to get on this. I went out and bought reading glasses just to use with Unity and my eyes are fine!

jdviz likes this.
  33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Adding more salt to the wound but we need the UI scale please!!!

34. orb

orb

I can't even read the interface on my laptop anymore.

35. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

The reason it isn't being fixed is because it is a major task that is probably impossible without a complete rewrite of Unity's editor which would probably take a few years, and would be a major pain in the butt to get it to play nicely with all possible monitor resolutions.

36. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

It has been fixed though. Or are you saying the Windows version still doesn't do hdpi support? Because on macOS it was done ages ago. I mean, it's not arbitrary scaling, but at least on 4K monitors things are normal-sized instead of tiny.

--Eric

GarthSmith likes this.
  37. orb

orb

The text is still unreadable on my laptop, which is somewhere closer to 3k. How do I enable the magic scaling of text so I can read what I name my scripts?

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Use a hdpi screen mode. If by "somewhere closer to 3K" you actually mean 2560x1600, keep in mind that's effectively 1280x800 as a hdpi mode. You have to run your desktop like that, you can't force just Unity to do it.

--Eric

39. dcsilver

dcsilver

Guys I'm wearing reading glasses that I don't even need because of this.

40. lipkerson

lipkerson

Help - my eyes hurts after couple of hours in unity editor. Please fix this "we can't do enything with the font size" problem.

41. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Why don't you guys get a normal 1080p monitor. No one needs these ultra hi-rez 4k and 5k monitors. They are just overkill for most humans. Especially if you don't have hawk-like eyesight.

42. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

That's not even remotely true, unless you're sitting across the room or something. But with computer monitors you're generally not more than a couple feet away from them when using them, and it's absolutely not "overkill". Reminds me of similar claims when the retina iPhones started to come out and some people tried to say the original displays were good enough and why do you need anything more, but nobody would ever go back to those old displays because they were in fact not good enough and look like pixelated junk today.

--Eric

43. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

@Eric5h5. I use a 1080p and a 1440p. Both are desktop monitors. At 1920x1080, the 1080p doesn't have enough space for my liking, but at 2560x1440 the 1440p is perfect (the Unity editor UI is small but not too small). But I can imagine it being way too small on a 1440p laptop monitor. But both 1080p and 1400p are crystal clear with no pixelation. I don't agree with you and I still think these 4k and up monitors are overkill and are manufactured just to exploit people's desire to have the latest shiny thing all the time. (I'll make an exception for use in graphics arts where printing detailed and/or blown up images, but not for game development, game playing, or normal home use.)

44. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

They certainly are pixelated. If you actually used a 4K screen, you'd see. Especially for text. Again, we went through this with phone screens, it's not theoretical. Now 8K screens, that's where you have a better chance of arguing for overkill.

--Eric

45. TokyoDan

TokyoDan

Ha. I am sure there will be people who'll want the 8K screens and swear that they need them. And then complain when the Unity UI text is equal to the size of normal printed text at 1 point.

46. agentargyle

agentargyle

I have poor vision. Even with reading glasses the text size is too small. This is not just a nice-to-have feature for people with large screens, but a must-have accessibility issue for people with low vision.

47. TimothyGrant

TimothyGrant

It''s ironic that I can play games created with Unity that allow the UI to scale properly on my Surface Book, yet I can't even see the tiny font in the Unity Editor at 3000x2000.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Any way to change font size now (2018) on mac? I've 1650x1050 resolution and it so hurt for my eyes work with small text...
    Which monitor i should buy for normal work? or how to change font size?

49. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

There isn't any way to change font size. If you're using a hdpi screen on macOS (like 4K or 5K), the editor will use it appropriately, which is to say, UI elements appear at the usual size, no larger or smaller, just 4X more detailed.

--Eric

50. orb

orb

That's simply not the case on my MBP. Everything inside the Unity editor is smaller than the system fonts.

jdviz likes this.