Search Unity

How to change collision response of a specific object at runtime?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Paulx774, Sep 9, 2021.

1. Paulx774

Paulx774

Is there a way change AN OBJECT's collision response against a specific layer? For example; when a car in my game goes faster than 40 KPH, I want the car to ignore a specific layer in terms of physics. When the car's speed lower than 40 KPH, I want the car to interact with the layer. There will be more than one car in the game. So, each other needs to change their responses depending on their speeds. Is that possible?

2. MelvMay

MelvMay

Unity Technologies

Yes, write a script to look at the speed and change the collision layers appropriately. There's not going to be a stock function for this because it's a very specific need for your project.

3. Paulx774

Paulx774

"changed the collision layers appropriately". Does it mean I should use Physics.IgnoreLayerCollision function? Doesn't it change the collision response of all the related objects?

In my case, a specific object's collision response should be changed. For example; there are 2 cars in my scene. One is going above 40 KPH, the other is going at 30 KPH. Only the collision response of the car that's going above 40 KPH should change, not the other's, and the both have the collision layer of "Car".

4. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku

You create a different layer with the different response settings, then switch the car's layer to that depending on the velocity.